CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Video & Multimedia

Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
teufeldog0231

teufeldog0231 is on a distinguished road

Dealer lied, now I have 2 disappointed kids, need some experts

Saturday Feb 25 I bought a used 2012 Volkswagen Routan. It was 90 mins away so we rode a train out to keep from driving 2 cars back.

Anyway, the ad said "Entertainment/ DVD", and there was a picture of the head unit (not touch screen), but it was a 6 dic changer and had a DVD Video/audio logo. In all 40 pictures I saw no monitors so I called and asked that they go and physically verify it had the 2 rear monitors. 5 mins on hold and I got a yes! Yay, right? Wrong.

Upon arrival, I find 4 empty overhead storage bins. The dealer offered some cheap aftermarket junk that would require removing the overhead console. Then he offered a $600 check.

Back home now I find nothing can mimic the stock system for $600. So after a few heated exchanges I got him to $750.

Now for the question.I'm thinking about foregoing the factory-style attempt. Here is my idea (be gentle):

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_074MBZ...MBZ85-Tan.html

Put that between driver/passenger seats (daughter's eyesight isnt great so I figured that would be better than a small personal headrest-strapped one).

With the leftover money..

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130520...C-5200NEX.html

Granted it's $600, and it would need $130 in peripherals for steering wheel control, etc. So with the dvd player it's about $1020 plus installing. I know I can shop around and shave that down to $800 maybe.

Do you think this set-up will serve our family well? Is there a better choice for a Double DIN head unit with GPS Nav, bluetooth/UConect (for volkswagen), and the steering wheel controls must work. Been out of the audiophile game for 15 or so years. Any sincere help is greatly appreciated.
teufeldog0231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR