CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
Bigteeboy

Bigteeboy is on a distinguished road

You stated in your earlier post that your budget is $1000.00 yet you looking at hertz hsk 6.5 and JL w6 and w7 did your budget inceased since your last post???
Bigteeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
smtroupe

smtroupe is infamous around these parts

My two cents since i been looking at a similar set up in my blazer
subs: soundqubed:hds2
AMP: ppi black ice, one for the subs and one for the amp
wires: there is a KNU brand kit from their site that does a dual amp set up
component: get the ones that everyone else has linked

some other things, your dash "tweeters" won't work with the after market setup with out a ton of work, so just assume those wont work anymore. keep your rear speakers and just run new speaker wire to the back doors to them from the amp (since assuming they run off a stock amp right now like most newer cars)

then you have working comps in the front, working stocks in the back, two subs, one wire kit.
smtroupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim# View Post
KnuKonceptz kit ordered.

I visited local stores and had a chance to listen a lot of the component speakers and a subs. However nobody had anything that you recommended.
This is what I sound really good to me:

Components:
Hertz HSK 165 6.5

Do they compare tho the Ctx65cs you guys recommended?

Sub:
JL Audio 10W6v3-D4

Since I liked W6 I assumed that I would like even better W7...
Is it fair comparison to JBL GT5 or NVX VCW104 ?

Also one of the stores had a sale:
JL Audio CP212-W0V3 Dual 12" - $249
JL Audio CP210-W0v3 Dual 10" - $249

Does the price make them more attractive now, especially considering the ones above?
You're comparing $170 ID comps to $400 Hertz comps, the Hertz will come out on top.

Everybody likes the w6 - I wouldn't call it fair to compare a $600 sub to subs in the ~$100 range. Personally, I like the w6 better than w7, but both are excellent subs. However, you can find subs that are comparable to the JLs for about 1/2 the price. Go to the SSA store and look at Ascendant Audio (a little pricey), DC Audio, Incriminator and Sundown.

If you're looking for the absolute best SQ in a sealed enclosure, then the w6 & w7 are hard to beat, but there are ways to get pretty darn close to the same performance for ~1/2 the cost. Those are not subs I would choose for a ported enclosure. I actually the CSS subs better, but those are back ordered. If you can wait, they may be worth wait if the new batch are the same quality as the previous ones (not sure if the build house changed when CSS got sold).

https://www.css-audio.com/subwoofers
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #19
Tony Reed

Tony Reed is infamous around these partsTony Reed is infamous around these parts

I see that you are going to go with the component in the front,good. But you said that you have tweeters in the dash? I wouldn't put the tweeters back in the dash being that I don't think you would get a good sound with your highs bouncing off your windshield. Try to get them in ear shot.
Tony Reed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2017, 02:39 AM   #20
Maxim#

Maxim# is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigteeboy View Post
Its seem that you only have your sights on Jl subs there are better subs on the markets than JL as someone mentioned earlier that their boxes is the weakness but its your choice I suggested soundQubed HdS.2 its a 12in sub 600wrms at $85.00 a sub is a far better choice stop thinking that Jl subs are the bee knees far from that
I only mentioned JL's because that's the only thing I had a chance to test in the store also they were running pretty sweat deals - JL Audio CP212-W0V3 Dual 12" amazon ~$400, store sale $249.
But I decided that I'll make my own sealed enclosure as I have an opportunity to get some help with that from someone more experienced will learn something and save some $$$.

I was checking on youtube(I know it tells you nothing but its better than nothing) nvx vcw 104 10 and soundQubed HdS.2 - I think nvx might sound little better...
Two of nvx vcw 104 10 in sealed box that might be my final choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigteeboy View Post
You stated in your earlier post that your budget is $1000.00 yet you looking at hertz hsk 6.5 and JL w6 and w7 did your budget inceased since your last post???
Yeah that the amount I was planning to spend, but I guess I got excited/overwhelmed after that visit in the store and listening all these goodies, but I have to calm down lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Reed View Post
I see that you are going to go with the component in the front,good. But you said that you have tweeters in the dash? I wouldn't put the tweeters back in the dash being that I don't think you would get a good sound with your highs bouncing off your windshield. Try to get them in ear shot.
Yeah will go with components most likely Dynamics ID65cs 6.5.
You made a good point as I remember that friends of mine usually had tweeters right above the seat belt... I don't mind doing that if that would improve SQ.
Maxim# is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 AM   #21
Bigteeboy

Bigteeboy is on a distinguished road

You cant go wrong with Id my whole setup is Id now your amp should be a 4 channel amp in case in the future you want to expand your setup you dont have to buy another amp there are plenty of quality low budget amps on the market like ppi black ice amps nvx jad 800.4 zapco st 4xp are a few also a amp for sub should be 1 ohm stable so you can get the most out of your subs also make sure that you buy subs that are 4 ohms so you can wired down to 1 ohm to max out your amp on ebay there are box builders who has stores on ebay

Last edited by Bigteeboy; 12-31-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Bigteeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Tweeters in the a-pillar aimed into the listening area generally works the best. Check out the Image Dynamics ID subs. They're a little more than the NVX, but have much more displacement and sound better IMHO.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #23
Constantine90

Constantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really nice

Something that cuts alot of time and guesswork out for me is a crutchfield install guide.
They make things much easier, shows how to remove door panels, speakers and head unit plus gives you a wiring guide for positive and negative colors on the door speakers, etc.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_264MAS...ns.html?tp=990

They are a PDF file btw, I don't think they make that part very clear.

Also, have you figured out and budgeted in how you're going to integrate the after market amplifier(s) into your stock headunit?
Constantine90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
smtroupe

i'm still not sure why people aren't just getting hds2 for 90 a piece, i don't think there is a better sub/price out there.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #25
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtroupe View Post
i'm still not sure why people aren't just getting hds2 for 90 a piece, i don't think there is a better sub/price out there.
If you're listening to mostly rap, EDM, etc, but what if you listen to jazz, blues, heavy metal, classical, country, etc?

Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #26
smtroupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
If you're listening to mostly rap, EDM, etc, but what if you listen to jazz, blues, heavy metal, classical, country, etc?
Put them in a sealed box? I mean if a person were to get that particular. The best set up would probably be three eight in subs in a sealed box.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:43 AM   #27
Constantine90

Constantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really niceConstantine90 is just really nice

Quote:
Put them in a sealed box? I mean if a person were to get that particular. The best set up would probably be three eight in subs in a sealed box.
Being particular isn't really what's going on.
Some folks use subwoofers to actually replicate musical instruments.
They want to hear Bass guitar, all drum tones repicated, etc.
There are multiple different instruments playing partial tones below and above 80 hertz.
Which is when midbass drivers need to match subwoofer output.
Sometimes a single 10 or 12" bass driver at 350 to 500 watts rms is all that is needed or even too much.

You aren't wrong, your mindset is just more geared towards replicating electronically created bass notes like those heard in rap, hip hop and R&B.
Constantine90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #28
Jimi77

Quote:
Why would anybody put an HDS in a sealed enclosure? Makes no sense, the HDS2 is a ground pounder sub. If you're going to go sealed, wouldn't it make more sense to get a sub that would excel sealed - Dayton Refs, ID, SB Acoustics, Peerless XXLS, SSA Dcon, etc.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #29
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Why would anybody put an HDS in a sealed enclosure? Makes no sense, the HDS2 is a ground pounder sub. If you're going to go sealed, wouldn't it make more sense to get a sub that would excel sealed - Dayton Refs, ID, SB Acoustics, Peerless XXLS, SSA Dcon, etc.
The JBL GT5 is excellent in a sealed box.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #30
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
The JBL GT5 is excellent in a sealed box.
Yes it is.