CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 07-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Ig.mjb

Ig.mjb is on a distinguished road

Am I ok too use bass boost on the head unit??

I have 400w RMS, max output 2000w Kenwood sub,2 6x9s Kenwood 3w,2 2w Kenwood door speakers, a Kenwood kmmbt31 and a boss amp 1100w. I know that using the bass boost on the amp is bad so I have that off but am I ok too use it on the head unit. I am a bass head so I love alot of bass and whenever it's on it makes it sound alot better but idk if it's ok to use. Everything in my car is aftermarket except the tweeters which I will be getting soon. The head unit has a built in amp so I figured I would be good too use the boost or no?
Ig.mjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig.mjb View Post
I have 400w RMS, max output 2000w Kenwood sub,2 6x9s Kenwood 3w,2 2w Kenwood door speakers, a Kenwood kmmbt31 and a boss amp 1100w. I know that using the bass boost on the amp is bad so I have that off but am I ok too use it on the head unit. I am a bass head so I love alot of bass and whenever it's on it makes it sound alot better but idk if it's ok to use. Everything in my car is aftermarket except the tweeters which I will be getting soon. The head unit has a built in amp so I figured I would be good too use the boost or no?
If you set gain properly on your amplifier with the amount of bass turned where you want it on the head unit, you should be fine.

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

Bass boost on the amp is bad because for every 3db of boost you apply, you are asking the amp to double the power it puts out at the frequencies being boosted. That causes clipping. Clipping = bad. Some amplifiers (like Boss Audio products) clip very easily all by themselves, so you'll want to ensure gain is set correctly.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Ig.mjb

Ig.mjb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
If you set gain properly on your amplifier with the amount of bass turned where you want it on the head unit, you should be fine.

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

Bass boost on the amp is bad because for every 3db of boost you apply, you are asking the amp to double the power it puts out at the frequencies being boosted. That causes clipping. Clipping = bad. Some amplifiers (like Boss Audio products) clip very easily all by themselves, so you'll want to ensure gain is set correctly.
So my amp model is a BOSS riot 1100m, it has two input settings, one that says sensitivity and another that says levels. Is the gain the levels switch and should I set it about half way or 3/4th of the way, or should I love the switch on sensitivity. Sorry if those is simple I'm very new too car audio and only know how to put the stuff in
Ig.mjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig.mjb View Post
So my amp model is a BOSS riot 1100m, it has two input settings, one that says sensitivity and another that says levels. Is the gain the levels switch and should I set it about half way or 3/4th of the way, or should I love the switch on sensitivity. Sorry if those is simple I'm very new too car audio and only know how to put the stuff in
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/pict...ure_id=2363468

In your case, "level" is gain. Sensitivity sets the input stage for a low voltage input or a higher voltage input- with an aftermarket head unit, you'll want it set to 2-8V (the left setting) and then set your gain aka level according to the tutorial I linked for you. You don't want to just pick a spot on the dial arbitrarily- read the link .

Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Tip- an amp with a 30A fuse does not equal 1100 watts.

Next time you go amp shopping, stop by the forum first and ask your new friends on CAF what to look for .

Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Tip- an amp with a 30A fuse does not equal 1100 watts.

Next time you go amp shopping, stop by the forum first and ask your new friends on CAF what to look for .
It's not the 825wrms that Boss lists as it's 2 ohm output either. Maybe 300wrms....
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote