CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
OldElPaso

OldElPaso is on a distinguished road

Running 8ohm load to 4ohm headunit outputs

hey everyone,
So i have been working on tuning my system i have installed in my truck. The main problem i am having is that my 4 door speaker, FL/FR/RL/RR, are really loud. I am trying to adjust my amp gain with my head unit volume at 75%, but i cannot handle how loud my door speakers are.

So i have been looking at different ways to reduce the power that is sent to the 4 door speakers and i really only found L-pads to be the only option.
I was sleeping last night and was dreaming about my car audio system, when i thought of another option.

So my after market head unit is pretty standard, it has 4 speaker outputs, one to each door. Each speaker gets about 52W @ 4ohm. Now i was thinking, what if i were to run the Front Right/ and Rear Right speakers in series. I would do the same to the Front Left/ and Rear Left.

This would give me a total of 8ohm connection on the right, and 8 ohm connection on the left. So if i were to connect the right speakers in series to my head units Front Right output, and my left speakers in series to my head units Front Left output, would i damage my head unit.

The idea is that with my right speakers connected in series at 8ohm, the power supplied to each speaker would be halfed, so somewhere around 26W to each.

So basically, will connecting an 8ohm load to my head units 4ohm output damage the headunit.
I know that doing to opposite will damage, so connecting 2ohm load to a 4ohm output.

Also, in a standard after market head unit do the Front Left and Rear Left speakers play the same thing. And do the Front Right and Rear Right speaker play the same thing. So if i were to connect my right speakers in series, and connect that to the Front Right output on the head unit, and do the same to the left, will i miss out on any sound.
So right speakers connect to FRONT Right and left speakers connected to FRONT left, will i miss out on any sound played through the rear, or do the rear speakers play the same thing as the fronts.

i guess im comparing it to stereo and mono set ups, where your left channel can play something different to your right channel, but do the rears play anything different to the front.

would appreciate your help or ideas, thanks

Last edited by OldElPaso; 11-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.
OldElPaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you just turn the volume down or the amp gains down. Perhaps I'm missing something regarding how it is wired currently? Do you have the front and rear speaks wired in parallel to your amp? If so, wiring them in series will reduce the volume, BUT WILL NOT CHANGE THE RELATIVE SOUND DIFFERENCES between front and back.

I can only guess that for whatever reason you do not have fader control, and are therefore trying to attenuate the door speaks. If so, I would GET FADER CONTROL BACK, set relative volume levels between front and back (adjusting amp gains as necessary), and go from there. What is preventing this?

M
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
OldElPaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSFET View Post
Why can't you just turn the volume down or the amp gains down. Perhaps I'm missing something regarding how it is wired currently? Do you have the front and rear speaks wired in parallel to your amp? If so, wiring them in series will reduce the volume, BUT WILL NOT CHANGE THE RELATIVE SOUND DIFFERENCES between front and back.

I can only guess that for whatever reason you do not have fader control, and are therefore trying to attenuate the door speaks. If so, I would GET FADER CONTROL BACK, set relative volume levels between front and back (adjusting amp gains as necessary), and go from there. What is preventing this?

M
hey thanks for the reply, let me try explain my self a little better.

I have an after market head unit with 4 speaker outputs. I think each output is about 52W @4ohm.
I have 4 door speakers (one in each door), which are powered by the head unit. The speakers are not connected to an external amp, just powered by the outputs in the head unit.

So i am trying to tune the amp that powers my subs. To do this i turn my head unit volume to about 75% and then match the amp gain. The problem is that at 75% volume on the head unit, my 4 door speakers become really loud. They do not distort, they just become loud.

I will take the right side of the car as an example, but i will also do the exact same thing to the left side of the car.
So i thought that maybe i could wire my 2 right door speakers (one from the Front Right door and the other from the Rear Right door) in series. This will give me an 8ohm load. Now if i connect that 8ohm load to one of the outputs of the head unit (like the front right output, which puts out 52W @4ohm), what will happen.

So basically will wiring 2 door speakers in series to a combined load of 8ohm and powering it of one of my head units output of 52W @4ohm, damage my head unit.

So will a 52W 4ohm output safely power an 8ohm load.
If this is possible, how much power will each of the speakers get if there is a 52W output @4ohm, that powers 2 speakers wired in series to 8ohm.

dont know if that make any more sense, but i hope you can help. thaks

Last edited by OldElPaso; 11-16-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldElPaso View Post
hey thanks for the reply, let me try explain my self a little better.

I have an after market head unit with 4 speaker outputs. I think each output is about 52W @4ohm.
I have 4 door speakers (one in each door), which are powered by the head unit. The speakers are not connected to an external amp, just powered by the outputs in the head unit.

So i am trying to tune the amp that powers my subs. To do this i turn my head unit volume to about 75% and then match the amp gain. The problem is that at 75% volume on the head unit, my 4 door speakers become really loud. They do not distort, they just become loud.

I will take the right side of the car as an example. I will do the exact same thing but with the speakers on the left side of the car
So i thought that maybe i could wire my 2 right door speakers (one from the Front Right door and the other from the Rear Right door) in series. This will give me an 8ohm load. Now if i connect that 8ohm load to one of the outputs of the head unit (like the front right output, which puts out 52W @4ohm), what will happen.

So basically will wiring 2 door speakers in series to a combined load of 8ohm and powering it of one of my head units output of 52W @4ohm, damage my head unit.

So will a 52W 4ohm output safely power an 8ohm load.
If this is possible, how much power will each of the speakers get if there is a 52W output @4ohm, that powers 2 speakers wired in series to 8ohm.

dont know if that make any more sense, but i hope you can help. thaks
If you have self control you can set the gains on your sub amp to match the highest you will go on your hu. But if you do this and then go higher than that level on the volume knob you could end up clipping your amp. But if you stay below that point on the volume knob you should be fine.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
OldElPaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post
If you have self control you can set the gains on your sub amp to match the highest you will go on your hu. But if you do this and then go higher than that level on the volume knob you could end up clipping your amp. But if you stay below that point on the volume knob you should be fine.
hey thanks for the reply.

yeh i thought i could do that. I was a little worried about doing it though cause i have read that its beast to turn your volume up on the hu to at least 75% that way the amp gain doesnt need to go up to much.

The volume on my hu goes upto 41. The door speakers start getting really loud at about 25/41. I am just able to stand it at 25, any more then that is to much. 25/41 is like 60%. i guess thats ok.