CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Vasili Brown

Vasili Brown is on a distinguished road

How to connect my system properly

I have a 1971 Datsun 240z with no stereo so I'm putting one in. I have a headunit and all massive audio speakers: 2 tweeters, 2 5.25, 2 6x9's, and 2 4inch. I'm using crossovers for the tweeters and 5.25 in the fron so it takes four outputs and makes it 2. How do I do the same for the 6x9's and 4in speakers in the rear. the headunit only has 4 outputs.
Vasili Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasili Brown View Post
I have a 1971 Datsun 240z with no stereo so I'm putting one in. I have a headunit and all massive audio speakers: 2 tweeters, 2 5.25, 2 6x9's, and 2 4inch. I'm using crossovers for the tweeters and 5.25 in the fron so it takes four outputs and makes it 2. How do I do the same for the 6x9's and 4in speakers in the rear. the headunit only has 4 outputs.
A head unit will not power all those speakers at a safe impedance or drive them to a meaningful level. You wouldn't want that many speakers anyway .
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Vasili Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
A head unit will not power all those speakers at a safe impedance or drive them to a meaningful level. You wouldn't want that many speakers anyway .
Okay so how can I use amps and other things like that?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay so how can I use amps and other things like that?
That many speakers is the audio equivalent of cramming 10 lbs of poop into a 5 lb bag- with car audio "less is more" when it comes to getting good results. That means a great pair of front speakers plus a subwoofer is all you need for great sounding audio.

An amplifier is a good idea. You wire the head unit's RCA outputs to the amp's inputs, send 12V power and ground to the amp and then wire the speakers to the amp's speaker outputs rather than using the ones on the head unit.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Vasili Brown

so how do I connect a 4 channel amp. I know nothing about car audio

Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

You wire the head unit's RCA outputs to the amp's inputs, send 12V power and ground to the amp and then wire the speakers to the amp's speaker outputs rather than using the ones on the head unit.

^^

Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Vasili Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
You wire the head unit's RCA outputs to the amp's inputs, send 12V power and ground to the amp and then wire the speakers to the amp's speaker outputs rather than using the ones on the head unit.

^^
But what if I only have 1 rca output, don't u need 2 rca inputs for a 4 channel

Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Platemail

Platemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant future

Quote:
But what if I only have 1 rca output, don't u need 2 rca inputs for a 4 channel
You can split it.
Platemail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Vasili Brown

Like how. Please explain

Old 10-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Like how. Please explain
Using a "Y" splitter cable.

Some 4 channel amps can internally split two inputs to drive 4 channels. If you haven't purchased one you may want to look for that feature.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
WeRd2UrMuDdEr

WeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond reputeWeRd2UrMuDdEr has a reputation beyond repute

How does your "Headunit" only have one single rca output?
WeRd2UrMuDdEr is offline   Reply With Quote