CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Iceman01

Iceman01 is on a distinguished road

Amp and headunit HELP

I have alpine type R components already that I am going to put in the front of my 2000 mustang coupe. To power these I was going to buy a Pioneer GM-5400T 2-channel amp. I can get it for $110 and does 125x2 at 4 ohms (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GM-5400T.html). I've only seen reviews for this for subs and saw that it only has a low pass crossover. Does this mean I can't use it to run the components?

And then for the deck I was going to get a JVC Arsenal KD-A615 from crutchfield for 150. It has front and rear/sub preamp outputs with 5 volts. I was debating between this and a clarion unit that I can get for $30 less, has 3 sets of preamp outputs but they are 4 volts, and it has bluetooth built in. Is the extra $30 worth the 2 sets of 5 volt preamps instead of 3 sets of 4 volts and bluetooth? (I'm not putting any speakers in the rear). I'm on a tight budget so I'm trying to get the most for my money. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Iceman01; 03-24-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Iceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

If the head unit has a high pass filter you can use that, although it might not have as fine of adjustments as the amp.

I doubt the head unit's only difference is the preouts. I'd wager that the Clarion is a better all-round deck. JVC isn't generally regarded as very good.
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Iceman01

I just got off the phone with a guy from crutchfield and he said that you can turn the low pass filter off and then it will be full range and that I can run the components off of it.

Are the JVC's cheap build quality or do they break often?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman01 View Post
I just got off the phone with a guy from crutchfield and he said that you can turn the low pass filter off and then it will be full range and that I can run the components off of it.

Well then the components are trying to reproduce subbass frequencies. Even if you don't have a sub you still should run a high pass filter. Running full range will introduce much unnecessary distortion.

Quote:
Are the JVC's cheap build quality or do they break often?
Try doing a forum search. I really couldn't tell you.
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Repth

Repth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant futureRepth has a brilliant future

Seems like the head unit would have SOME option for hpf... Unless it is really that cheap.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Iceman01

haha yeah i think it is. I found a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 factory refurb for the same price though and that has a high-pass filter so I'm good. Thanks guys

Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
GM4WALLS

GM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond reputeGM4WALLS has a reputation beyond repute

Kenwoods a much better choice.
GM4WALLS is offline   Reply With Quote