CarAudioForum.com

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Aames

Aames is on a distinguished road

Newb HU fuse question.

Im putting a system in my car, it is a 1963 thunderbird. I'm leaving the stock radio in the dash to keep an original look in the interior. Since i will not be plugging my new HU into a harness I have a concern about fuses. For the constant power wire(going to cig lighter) or the wire going to the ignition- do I need to splice in a fuse? I hope any of this makes sense. Thanks for the help..
Aames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aames View Post
Im putting a system in my car, it is a 1963 thunderbird. I'm leaving the stock radio in the dash to keep an original look in the interior. Since i will not be plugging my new HU into a harness I have a concern about fuses. For the constant power wire(going to cig lighter) or the wire going to the ignition- do I need to splice in a fuse? I hope any of this makes sense. Thanks for the help..
I agree with leaving the stock radio in place in the dash and hiding a new aftermarket unit elsewhere (like the glovebox or under the dash)...yes you will want to fuse the switched and constant 12V sources for your new radio- many include an inline fuse, but it never hurts to add one to protect the wires.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Duct Tape

Associate

Duct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond repute

always install a fuse as close to the power source as possible. also, i've found with some older cars that it is better to run the constant (yellow) power wire and ground (black) wire directly to the battery. then the switched (red) lead can be wired to the ignition harness.

Last edited by Duct Tape; 10-28-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Aames

Aames is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. In terms of fuses what's size would be used? I assume this info will be included with the products but I'm just trying to gather some info before hand. Again I appreciate the help.
Aames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aames View Post
Thanks for the information. In terms of fuses what's size would be used? I assume this info will be included with the products but I'm just trying to gather some info before hand. Again I appreciate the help.
If you could link to the products you're interested in, we could probably find an electronic version of the manual and have a look at what kind of fusing will be called for .
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote