CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Build Logs

Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
edwardsomewhat

edwardsomewhat is on a distinguished road

intalling a tablet as head unit

I have a galaxy tab 4, and i have purchased a custom dash, now im trying to install it and im pretty new to car audio, but very tech talented. im trying to understand if its better to run my usb audio directly to a DAC then splitter to 2 amps to run my system, or if i should find a head unit that just supports usb audio in, and not just to read from a storage device, but to stream, and then hide it behind the tablet dock. if you know of any head units with this capability please advise.
edwardsomewhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #2
Djpac

Djpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what they have for Androids, but check out iStreamer. It may be what you're looking for. I am sure there is something similar for Androids.
Djpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
8Layerjunkie

8Layerjunkie is on a distinguished road

Run a mp3 player headunit behind your tab. I was going to do this with my iPad mini, but heard bad things about too much bass will actually vibrate the digitizer and it'll switch songs on you or turn up volume or etc. You can buy just an mp3 headunit cheap. Like $30 for a single din. But does not play cds. Glwb!
8Layerjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

You will most likely want to run some type of car audio HU (even if just a media-center type) for the simple reason that you will want more than balance control, but you will likely want subwoofer level control as well as fader control.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY MUCH a strong believer in using computers as pre-amps. That is how my home theater is set up. I bought an aftermarket sound-card with improved DAC's and six channel sound outputs. From there I run all six channels into my Yamaha 5280 which allows me to turn off all DSP and tone controls, it is basically just a five channel power amp.

I LOVE this set-up as you can find just about any type of DSP to enhance your sound (if you think necessary), for instance adding a 31 band EQ is easy and generally free. With a conventional set-up a 31 band EQ would be rather expensive.

I have several wireless mice and I use a program called "Volume-mouse" which turns the wheel of all the mice into a volume control when pressed down. It should also be noted that my 60" Sony is one of my three monitors, so EVERY aspect of my HT can be controlled by my computer.

So I love the idea of using a tablet as pre-amp, but for car audio use, there are issues that make this a little less than ideal. Again, you would just need a simple media controller with a USB input and then use your tablet as your source unit.
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote