CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
drjoeshmoe

drjoeshmoe has a spectacular aura aboutdrjoeshmoe has a spectacular aura about

help, sub amp will not power on after new hu

Installed a jensen vx7022 today
When installing, realized the metra wire harness had no blue/white amp turn on wire even though the package diagram showed it. So I sent the blue antenna on wire to the blue on the jensen. I did set the sub to on in the menu. There is 12v present when checking with a meter....but the amp will not power on.

I ran out of time today, I have a few things I can think of to check....maybe connect to the red acc wire?...maybe if I go behind my factory harness, there may be a blue/white amp on wire?

I have a 2004 tundra.
Thanks for any help.
Joe
drjoeshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried wiring the amp's remote turn-on lead directly to the head unit's blue wire?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Have you tried wiring the amp's remote turn-on lead directly to the head unit's blue wire?
I have not,...thats a good idea.
After work today, I guess I will give it a shot.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

When you say "sub amp" are you referring to the factory amplifier, or do you have an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier connected? If the latter, I don't see why you wouldn't just connect the blue wire from the head unit to the remote turn on terminal on the amp as suggested. Not sure how you expected the amp to turn on otherwise. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your setup.
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
When you say "sub amp" are you referring to the factory amplifier, or do you have an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier connected? If the latter, I don't see why you wouldn't just connect the blue wire from the head unit to the remote turn on terminal on the amp as suggested. Not sure how you expected the amp to turn on otherwise. Maybe I'm misinterpreting your setup.

Yes, aftermarket amp and sub.
I was very tired and it was late, bad combo.
I believe I connected the blue wire from the hu to the blue on the metra harness....then realized the hu did not have a remote turn on wire...so I took my remote wire from the amp, and used a t-tap at the metra harness into the blue wire.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

The blue wire on the vx7022 is for a power antenna, which you don't have, or an amplifier. It provides 500mA, which should be adequate to turn on your amplifier. However, if this same wire is being used to turn on your factory amp, then I can't say whether it will work or not. If it doesn't, then I would just use the red acc wire.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
drjoeshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
The blue wire on the vx7022 is for a power antenna, which you don't have, or an amplifier. It provides 500mA, which should be adequate to turn on your amplifier. However, if this same wire is being used to turn on your factory amp, then I can't say whether it will work or not. If it doesn't, then I would just use the red acc wire.
Really appreciate the help,
I will test that out when I get home from work.
I believe with my previous aftermarket install, I went around the factory amp, I believe there was an additional harness to bypass the factory amplifier.
It was along time ago.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
drjoeshmoe

Amp has power..from red wire.
Thanks again..
Joe

Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
mossman

Glad to have helped.