CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
brooksbyerlein

brooksbyerlein will become famous soon enough

Talking I got $900...I need help deciding what sub or subs to get.

Hey guys i have a nissan altima with two DC level 2 12s. I want stupid bass. I want some 15s. I need yalls help to get me the baddest set of 15s for my price range. Or i would consider 1 sub if it was loud enough. I also have 4800 watts handy
brooksbyerlein is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksbyerlein View Post
Hey guys i have a nissan altima with two DC level 2 12s. I want stupid bass. I want some 15s. I need yalls help to get me the baddest set of 15s for my price range. Or i would consider 1 sub if it was loud enough. I also have 4800 watts handy
Can your vehicle supply the needed current to provide for 4800 watts? (most can't)
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
brooksbyerlein

I have a 270 highoutput and alos a extra battery with 802 cca

Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a 270 highoutput and alos a extra battery with 802 cca
Which amplifiers will you be using?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
brooksbyerlein

I have 2 hifonics brx 2400

Old 01-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
brooksbyerlein

I was thinking Dc xls or ssa xcons

Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I have 2 hifonics brx 2400
Your vehicle has enough current (HO alternator and all) to power one of those amps with only a small buffer to provide for the electrical needs of the vehicle if you'll be playing at levels approaching full output. The battery will extend how long you can play with the engine off, but won't do much with the engine running as the alternator at that point is providing the current.

There are lots of 15's and even 18's that would work off a single Hifonics if you have room for the enclosure they'd require.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I was thinking Dc xls or ssa xcons
If you like the DCs you are running now, that would be a good choice. The Xcons are nice woofers. Look at Incriminator Audio and Fi as well.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
brooksbyerlein

i call the guys up at the Dc alternators they said it should be alright....so what are you recommendations.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
brooksbyerlein

How did you determine that my alternator couldnt support 4800 not doubting you just want reasoning.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
i call the guys up at the Dc alternators they said it should be alright....so what are you recommendations.
If you are listening to music at normal listening levels, you can get by with more amplifier than an alternator can provide for- if you'll be turning it up with the goal being "stupid bass" then not so much...the Hifonics Brutus amps pull loads of current (each BRX 2400 will need a solid 250A worth of current towards full output), and I don't think you'll be able to maintain proper current or stable voltage at higher volumes. Amps like the Hifonics tend to grenade when driven towards full output at minimum impedance, and if your electrical system is incapable of feeding them the required current for the volume you are playing things at, that can happen pretty quickly.

I would recommend going with a pair of more modest 15's (or 18's if you can come up with the room a pair would need ported) and use one of the Hifonics, unless a dual HO alternator setup is within your abilities and budget. That might be a pair of Fi's, a pair of DC's (like the Level 4), a pair of Incriminators- the SSA Xcons can get loud (especially 15's or larger) in the right enclosure, but their forte will be more to the SQ side of things.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
How did you determine that my alternator couldnt support 4800 not doubting you just want reasoning.
4800 watts worth of Hifonics Brutus amps will need 500A of power to make full output. A battery won't help you there, nor will a bank of them.

Feel free to try it and find out for yourself- most of what I've learned over the years has come from first hand trial & error.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

I'm guessing you have one of those amplifiers installed now?

If so, hook a digital multimeter up to the battery terminals with your engine running...turn up the system and measure voltage. Turn on the vehicle's headlights, HVAC, defroster and measure voltage again. For sh*ts and giggles, see what effect using things like power windows has on voltage you measure.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
brooksbyerlein

Okay man im gonna go down the street and try this..will my voltage meter inside the car work for this test?

Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay man im gonna go down the street and try this..will my voltage meter inside the car work for this test?
It might if the meter is accurate enough. Do it at night so you can "see" the effect via your headlights dimming.

Ohms law tells us the max output of the alternator is ~14v x 270amps which comes to 3780 watts. However, realistically to run the HVAC, lights, ignition, ECU, fuel pump, etc you need at ~60amps if not more, so you really have ~14v x 200amps or ~2800 watts available for the system at full tilt. Because music is dynamic, you probably have room for ~3500 watts....

Last edited by Jimi77; 01-08-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote