CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
trbbhm

trbbhm is on a distinguished road

Replaced Stock Speakers - No Bass

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with the JBL sound system installed. I have replaced the stock front door speakers (JBL 86180-AF070) with new JBL GTO 608C speakers and now the speakers play but there is no bass coming from them.

I have verified that the polarity is correct.

Can anyone suggest what I have done or what I can do to fix this?
trbbhm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
jepalan

jepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbbhm View Post
I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with the JBL sound system installed. I have replaced the stock front door speakers (JBL 86180-AF070) with new JBL GTO 608C speakers and now the speakers play but there is no bass coming from them.

I have verified that the polarity is correct.

Can anyone suggest what I have done or what I can do to fix this?
<EDIT: Should have done my homework.>
Looks like others have had success with the GTO608C in that system.
Double check the crossover wiring.
Double check polarity as well. Try swapping polarity on one of the woofers and see if bass comes back.

Last edited by jepalan; 12-27-2016 at 07:42 PM.
jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
trbbhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepalan View Post
<EDIT: Should have done my homework.>
Looks like others have had success with the GTO608C in that system.
Double check the crossover wiring.
Double check polarity as well. Try swapping polarity on one of the woofers and see if bass comes back.
Polarity checked and it's correct. We switched polarity and it did not make a difference.

Regarding the crossover wiring, all I did was clip the existing wires that were connected to the stock speaker, crimped on new connectors, and connected the new speakers. Is there anything else that I should have done?

Old 12-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Do you have an amplifier powering the new speakers or just the head unit? Your factory speakers had paper cones, were lower wattage, and produced bass just fine with the JBL amp because they were designed to. You likely just need more power, and a new head unit if you haven't already replaced it. I have a 2004 Tundra with factory door speakers and replaced just the head unit and it sounds pretty frikin good. Lots of bass too.
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
trbbhm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
Do you have an amplifier powering the new speakers or just the head unit? Your factory speakers had paper cones, were lower wattage, and produced bass just fine with the JBL amp because they were designed to. You likely just need more power, and a new head unit if you haven't already replaced it. I have a 2004 Tundra with factory door speakers and replaced just the head unit and it sounds pretty frikin good. Lots of bass too.
I only replaced the speakers in the doors (subs only - left the stock tweeters and mids). I had thought that the amp powered the speaker system but now I'm not sure. Maybe I need to find a wiring diagram for the stock JBL system to see what powers what.

I asked a local sound shop but of course they said that I would have to either replace with stock speakers again or upgrade the entire system.