CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #16
Dan B

Dan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the rough

Well I think I have decided to go with a idmax 15. They seem to have a pretty good reputation for being clean and loud. I have had a 12 inch ID Max before and liked it. The 12 was sealed but I'm going to try ported with the 15 hopefully it will sound just as good. Maybe I will build both enclosures and see which one I like better . Can someone tell me if The 1650 W I will be giving it will be too much can I just turn down the gain so I don't melt my voice coil?
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Well I think I have decided to go with a idmax 15. They seem to have a pretty good reputation for being clean and loud. I have had a 12 inch ID Max before and liked it. The 12 was sealed but I'm going to try ported with the 15 hopefully it will sound just as good. Maybe I will build both enclosures and see which one I like better . Can someone tell me if The 1650 W I will be giving it will be too much can I just turn down the gain so I don't melt my voice coil?
I would definitely use conservative gain settings w/o any bass boost or excessive EQ with a single IDMax. With careful use, it will tolerate the amplifier power you'll have on-tap better sealed, so go extra conservative ported and use the amp's subsonic filter set close to the port's tuned frequency.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #18
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Does it have to be 12īs? Properly enclosed 10īs might do the job better...
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #19
Dan B

Dan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the roughDan B is a jewel in the rough

No it doesn't have to be 12's I'm going to do a single 15". Why do you suggest 10's ? The 15" is more cone area then 2 10s and less power requirements. What would be the advantage of the 10s

Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #20
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Faster response...for rock music etc.. A properly made ported box will be able to give you a better roll-off response than a single 15" SQL wise. Crossover and mid-bass applications aside...

How big are the fronts anyway? If you don't have much in between the fronts and the 15" sub, there might be a noticeable gap in reproduction response (i.e. There's some missing sound between the mids and the lows. Which basically sound like every other Best Buy out-of-the-box install.) Running an XO might prove to be a waste of time and money since you're gonna have to tune the XO at a higher frequency response in order to bridge that gap in sound (which isn't really within the operating boundaries of a 15" subwoofer).

3 10's or 2 12's in a properly ported box with a properly matched amp might do the trick better, IMHO.

Last edited by SPL_Krayzie112; 12-28-2016 at 01:13 AM.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #21
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Not all 15's are created equally- some of the really cheap ones or the ones made specifically for SPL may not sound so musical in an SQ application. Some of the ones mentioned in this thread should sound great and have more impact and resolution on fine details than other 15's- a properly designed subwoofer in a properly designed enclosure will play up to 80hz (where you want your front speakers to take over) and be plenty "fast" for any music you might care to throw at it, whereas an SPL woofer or a really cheap and nasty one may exhibit overhang and sound sloppy- throw it in an enclosure that emphasizes those traits and use a poor quality amp and things can go downhill fast.

I am fond of 12's for most installs as they strike a nice balance between enclosure size, cone area and some free SPL, but have had really good results from 8's, 10's, 12's and even a really nice 15. It is all about optimizing the enclosure, tuning and proper level matching. In the wrong hands, you can have bad results with almost any equipment.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #22
Dan B

Does anybody have any expertise or knowledge of the SSA Xcon ? I have an icon and like that. Seems like it will handle more power then the idmax. Thanks a lot

Old 12-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #23
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Does anybody have any expertise or knowledge of the SSA Xcon ? I have an icon and like that. Seems like it will handle more power then the idmax. Thanks a lot
That is one woofer I really want to try- doesn't fit with my current ride, otherwise I'd have installed one already.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:22 AM   #24
Dan B

Yeah it looks sweet. Do you think it would be as clean as the idmax ? I want to try it but can't find much info on it as far as being an "SQ" sub

Old 01-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

I installed a XCON 15 a couple years ago, and it was very solid. Box was 3.2ft3 net @ 30hz. Sundown SAZ1500d powering(1660 watts). Ground pounder if you wanted it to be, and played very clean up to around 100hz.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #26
denim

denim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond reputedenim has a reputation beyond repute

I like the SSA Xcon suggestion.
denim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #27
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

With 8cuft to play with why not a pair of 15s (ported).
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
Dan B

got my sub today ! Only took 5 weeks to get here. I have a question. I ordered a duel 2ohm sub but when I measure the coils with my dmm I get about 1.1-1.2 ohms. Does this seem right ? Seems a lot closer to 1 then 2ohms. I know it won't be exact but this seems pretty far off. my dmm is a good quality meter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1axj1odzd9...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4718c32rtf...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #29
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

There is a difference between DC resistance and nominal impedance- hook them up and give them some play time, watch for protection mode on the amp and see.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #30
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Usually on a D2 subwoofer, Re is around 1.7 at rest. Of course that will change when power/heat is introduced. A D4 sub is usually 3.4-3.6

With your coils reading a little lower Re, you'll get a little more wattage out of your amp when powering. Nothing to be concerned with, at all.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote