CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 12-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Ruan

Ruan is on a distinguished road

Suggested Sub for my amplifier

Good day all.

I received a 4 channel amplifier (http://www.nakamichicaraudio.com/pro...l.php?ProId=41) for my birthday in July and installed it to run 2 6x9" in a box in my single cab pick up. However now that Christmas is here I would like to install a subwoofer and run it on the remaining 2 channels bridged. I have gone into a few stores around here and enquired about what subwoofer would be able to run safely with the amplifier I have and receive mixed answers from the audio technicians. I am not looking for competition sound standards, I would just like to add a little more bass. I have looked at a 12" Pioneer subwoofer which will match the interior and upholstery nicely. So what should I be looking for with regard to power and impedance (or any other specification that I might not be aware of) when deciding on a subwoofer. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards and compliments of the season
Ruan
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Your amplifier doesn't list a spec for bridged output (at least in what I see online), but a single 4 ohm voice coil woofer with modest power requirements would be best.

Pioneer's subwoofers are unimpressive for the money. Something like this would be nice:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GT5-12-12...rds=jbl+gt5+12

It is a good sounding, good performing woofer for the price that doesn't need a ton of power.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Your amplifier doesn't list a spec for bridged output (at least in what I see online), but a single 4 ohm voice coil woofer with modest power requirements would be best.

Pioneer's subwoofers are unimpressive for the money. Something like this would be nice:

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GT5-12-12...rds=jbl+gt5+12

It is a good sounding, good performing woofer for the price that doesn't need a ton of power.
That JBL sub has been discontinued but can still be bought. I bought 2 yesterday on Amazon and they only had 9 left. There may be more to be had elsewhere but I would buy asap if that's what you decide on.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the infamous GT5 is going away. Why JBL would discontinue such a popular product makes no sense to me.... I think they did away with the MS-8 too, which was extremely popular as well.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Ruan

Thanks for all your replies. I went into the sound store here and showed the guys what was suggested to me. However they do not stock it. I also cant order from Amazon as I live in South Africa. They did however show me this subwoofer.https://www.hificorp.co.za/pioneer-12in-sub-ts-w311
He said it's pretty much on par with the JBL that was linked above. It might not perform aswell as the JBL however the power requirements and impendence is the same.

Kind regards
Ruan

Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I went into the sound store here and showed the guys what was suggested to me. However they do not stock it. I also cant order from Amazon as I live in South Africa. They did however show me this subwoofer.https://www.hificorp.co.za/pioneer-12in-sub-ts-w311
He said it's pretty much on par with the JBL that was linked above. It might not perform aswell as the JBL however the power requirements and impendence is the same.

Kind regards
Ruan
No, not on-par with the JBL. Pioneer's woofers are not very good. What other brands can you get there?

Old 12-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-audio...subwoofer.html

If you can't get one of those, look into an entry level woofer from Hertz or Infinity (both available in South Africa) for better woofers than Pioneer...no idea on the pricing, though an online currency calculator suggests that is about $56 US or $75 CAN and would be reasonable for what you get.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruan View Post

Kind regards
Ruan
If it's anything like the US version of that sub it's garbage. Hertz and DLS products seem to be reasonably priced on your side of the pond.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Ruan

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and assistance. I went looking around at the specified woofers above however had no luck finding any of the brand's mentioned. I did however bump into a salesman that had the DVC Pioneer installed in his car. Took me to the parking lot and showed me how it performed. I was quite astounded at how well it sounded. So bought the DVC and paid him a couple of bucks to do the setup once it was installed and I'm very happy with what I have now. Once again, thank you all for your time and help. Greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Ruan