CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Polk MM's are another option. Sound great and only 4.625" deep. Unfortunately, those are in the $200 range.
Found this MM1040 for $119:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mTyPu79...io-MM1040.html
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #17
RobP

RobP is on a distinguished road

The MB QUART and Sundown audio ones seem to fit my application perfect. Will the MB's handle 300w rms when spec says 200w rms? And the sundown say 350w end and I will end up starving them and that's worse isn't it? I am liking those MB's
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #18
RobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
Those JBLs are best with sealed 1 CU ft each. I think they would be OK with .75 CU ft. You can add polyfil to make them act as if they're in a bigger box. Also moving the subs out a bit with a baffle will give you a slight increase in box volume. I would see if I could make that work. You know the seats can often be raised 1/2" or so.
Yes I have the seats raised now. Just lazy and don't want to fan and shim or make adapters tbh. I appreciate your advice as well as eveyone else. Changing box to 10" subs is not an option right now. At worst I would just buy the pioneers I had at first. Just wanted to know if there is something better for the same $ out there. I emailed MB QUART for a recommendation just waiting to hear what they say. I am looking into the other subs that are listed also. I just don't know how to tell by the specs which sub will sound like what and which is better for my application. I just pay attetion to mounting depth and sealed box vol required. Also rms wattage. But I've read that sensitivity is not important but I thought is was especially when you have a lower wattage system Like I do.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #19
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
The MB QUART and Sundown audio ones seem to fit my application perfect. Will the MB's handle 300w rms when spec says 200w rms? And the sundown say 350w end and I will end up starving them and that's worse isn't it? I am liking those MB's
The Sundown's have more throw, so will get louder than the MBQs.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #20
RobP

Well I found a few subs that will work with my setup. Frist on my list are Boston's G1 series. Then memphis street ref series. Also cadence has one. Hifonics hercules also. They are more $ then what I want to spend but just a bit more. What are your thoughts as to which brand would produce the cleanest best sounding lows?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #21
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rank like so:

Sundown SD
Polk MM
Earthquake SWS
Boston g1

Old 12-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #22
RobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
I'd rank like so:

Sundown SD
Polk MM
Earthquake SWS
Boston g1
None of those brands will work with my top mounting depth and cu ft space. Except for boston g1

Old 12-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #23
Jimi77

The G1 seems to require more than the .75cuft you're working with. Even 1cuft is a little small IMHO. The Earthquake is even more space hungry, although you could always go with 10s.

The Polk MMs seem like the best fit, but the are just a tad deep, but those are probably what I'd go with. Actually, I'd see if I couldn't find a way to get ~1cift per sub and go with the Sundown SDs.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #24
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sundown-Audi...EAAOSwEzxYNwq~
5.25" depth. You said you could do that.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AA.../dp/B001C3R444
last one

Last edited by neillio; 12-12-2016 at 11:35 PM.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And if anyone could enlighten me as to what company sub sounds like what that would be great. Like pioneer subs are boomy, kickers are loud, infinitys are crisp and clean etc etc.
Which Pioneer subs are boomy?
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #26
RobP

Well I removed my box and subs and measured mounting depth and it's 5 3/4" and it's lowest height so I would think 5 1/2" depth would be the max. But I also found spacer rings which would add 3/4" so that would allow me to run at least a 6 1/4" depth which would leave 1/4" I know that's not much room and not optimal but it's what I got. And I researched my box a bit more and it seems to have approx 1cu ft of air space. I could have sworn it was like .7 or something but guess I was wrong. So I would say 1cu ft max and more like .9 cu ft to be safe. I found a set of sony gtr 12s at crunchfield for $40 each. I know people say Sony is garbage but for $40 each can't beat that.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
Jimi77

The Sony's blow. I'd go with the Sundown SD or Polk MM. Both sound good and should work in the space you have to work with.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:20 AM   #28
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I removed my box and subs and measured mounting depth and it's 5 3/4" and it's lowest height so I would think 5 1/2" depth would be the max. But I also found spacer rings which would add 3/4" so that would allow me to run at least a 6 1/4" depth which would leave 1/4" I know that's not much room and not optimal but it's what I got. And I researched my box a bit more and it seems to have approx 1cu ft of air space. I could have sworn it was like .7 or something but guess I was wrong. So I would say 1cu ft max and more like .9 cu ft to be safe. I found a set of sony gtr 12s at crunchfield for $40 each. I know people say Sony is garbage but for $40 each can't beat that.
I'd buy a Skar VD-12 before a Sony sub. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SKAR-AUD...QAAOSwZSFXJSy5
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
I'd buy a Skar VD-12 before a Sony sub. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SKAR-AUD...QAAOSwZSFXJSy5
Not much of a Skar fan, but not bad for ~$80.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
RobP

Well the Sony is out. I know they have a bad rep but I've read they are turning things around and starting to put out decent products. Any case still up in the air. I think I'm being to picky to be honest.