CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
RobP

RobP is on a distinguished road

Need subwoofer recommendations

Hello members my name is Rob and this is my first post. I have a 99 gmc Sierra ext cab pickup with a nice radio system in it. It has a pioneer H/U and Pioneer 6.5 components up front and Pioneer 4x6 rears. Also have a 2 12" sub box that lies under the rear seat and downfires into the floor. The box is sealed and .75cu ft each sub. Powering the subs is an infinity 1600a amp that puts out 300w rms @2ohm. I ran pioneer champion subs at first and they sounded pretty good. I blew one then tried alpines type E 12" subs. Not impressed with them and just broke one of them. Problem is I do not have much mount depth space at approx 5 1/2" tops. And not much cu ft @ .75max. And my budget is very VERY low at $50 per sub tops. I know that's not much at all but I'm broke as a joke and bills come first. So I'm the type that likes to try diff brands to explore and open to suggestions for a 12" sub that would run off a 300w rms amp and got a 5 1/2 or less depth with .75cu ft being the working space. Now I'm not looking for all out bass. Dont care about being heard around the block. What I am anal about is the sound quality. I can't stand the sloppy rummble and flutter on big bass notes. Its to the point that I set my H/U to 63Hz crossover so that the bass sounds very clean and right and accurate. I do not use alot of bass at all. Just enough to blend all the music together. I listen to all types of music. Rock, tap,club,techno,etc. I found a clarion sub that fits my bill but haven't heard much about there quality. Also I need the sun to be 4ohm so I can run a 2ohm load at the mono amp. I've heard and read alot of post's about some cheaper subs being pretty decent but if it's only a few dollars more for something much better I would find a way to come up with more $ for the better sub. But just can't be a while lot more. Basically I set my budget at $100 for 2 12" subs. Please don't laugh. Going through hard times right now. Well I appreciate your suggestions and time helping me out. And if anyone could enlighten me as to what company sub sounds like what that would be great. Like pioneer subs are boomy, kickers are loud, infinitys are crisp and clean etc etc.
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL-GT5-12.html

In that price range, a pair of these would be very nice. They are deeper than your stated depth however, so mounting an MDF baffle over the holes to space them out some would be required.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered one good woofer with dual 4 ohm coils? You'd need a new enclosure, but that isn't too hard.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
RobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Have you considered one good woofer with dual 4 ohm coils? You'd need a new enclosure, but that isn't too hard.
Yes I have. But I could still use just one side of the box because each speaker is sealed off from one another. And why dual 4 ohm coils? So I can run them at 2ohm I suppose? I am open to suggestions of the people who really know subs and sound would say that one 600w sub would sound as good or better then 2 300w subs. But just seems my box really limits what subs will work.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
RobP

Quote:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL-GT5-12.html

In that price range, a pair of these would be very nice. They are deeper than your stated depth however, so mounting an MDF baffle over the holes to space them out some would be required.
Not sure that would work very well cause there down firing and only have so much space before they would expand and hit the floor while sub is playing.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
Yes I have. But I could still use just one side of the box because each speaker is sealed off from one another. And why dual 4 ohm coils? So I can run them at 2ohm I suppose? I am open to suggestions of the people who really know subs and sound would say that one 600w sub would sound as good or better then 2 300w subs. But just seems my box really limits what subs will work.
A sub's power handling is not a good indication of how it will sound or how loud it will get.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
RobP

Quote:
A sub's power handling is not a good indication of how it will sound or how loud it will get.
I have read that and understand that. Just trying to understand why 1 sub may be better than 2. Without quality of materials and construction being a factor, I would think that a 600w sub would hit just as hard and or loud then 2 300w subs? So why would you consider 1 sub instead of 2?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #8
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I have read that and understand that. Just trying to understand why 1 sub may be better than 2. Without quality of materials and construction being a factor, I would think that a 600w sub would hit just as hard and or loud then 2 300w subs? So why would you consider 1 sub instead of 2?
Because for $50 per woofer you are limited. Throw shallow mounting depth into the equation and things don't look any more optimistic.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a general rule of thumb, the 2 subs would be louder. Your main limiting factor is budget. Plus 12s generally require ~1 cuft sealed and to top it off you need a shallow mount. TBH, given your restrictions, I'd just save my money. I'd consider a different configuration for you subwoofer enclosure - either add some depth or take it down to ~.5cuft per sub and find some quality 10s or keep around 1-1.25cuft for a single sub and look for a quality 12" sub. The sub that comes to mind for your application is the Sundown SD, but that's a $200 sub.

Don't forget that any sub you get that has a pole vent requires an extra ~1" to allow the pole vent to breath.

Last edited by Jimi77; 12-08-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the roughJohnBauder is a jewel in the rough

Those JBLs are best with sealed 1 CU ft each. I think they would be OK with .75 CU ft. You can add polyfil to make them act as if they're in a bigger box. Also moving the subs out a bit with a baffle will give you a slight increase in box volume. I would see if I could make that work. You know the seats can often be raised 1/2" or so.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

The JBL GT5 was a great sub, but has two problems in this particular case.

1) They're discontinued, so you'll have to hunt them down.
2) The have a mounting depth of ~6.5", but you need to account for the pole vent so in reality you need ~7.5" of mounting depth. OP only has 5.5" to work with.

It's just tough to get a quality shallow mount at the price he wants.

EarthQuake's SWS would work for him, but those are ~$150/sub and IMHO they need to be in closer to 1.5-2 cuft than the sizes Earthquake recommends. That would limit him to a single sub and a 4 ohm load. He could do two SWS 10's but that blows his budget. There's the Pioneer shallow mount subs, but those are utter garbage. The Alpine Type R thin mounts are really pricey.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-Quart-DS1...1X9X08&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADENCE-S0W1...xWWNAM&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fos...tTap3I&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JBL-GT5-...cAAOSwal5YL4e1
Autosounds has them for $58.94 obo. Can shoot them an offer of $51?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Precisio...lTOyiA&vxp=mtr

http://www.caraudiobargain.com/b-sto...500w-e-series/
One of these on 300wrms~
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Jimi77

Problem with that MB Quart is it needs ~3cuft per sub.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:13 AM   #14
Jimi77

Polk MM's are another option. Sound great and only 4.625" deep. Unfortunately, those are in the $200 range.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 will become famous soon enough

I would run 2 x10's. fabricate an adapter to mount over the 12" openings.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote