CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Vintage Old School

Old 09-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
THEUSETABOOST

THEUSETABOOST is on a distinguished road

Best shaft style cassette deck and other period correct goodies

Gonna be dragging home a 67 impala soon and not too thrilled about cutting the dash and the price of the retrosound units are too much imo. I've been on the lookout for a decent shaft style cassette deck, preferrably one of the latest ones with better features like digital display, loud button, decent power, etc. Thinking of also going with a cd changer. I know some of the kenwoods had cd changer controls but it's not necessarily needed. I also realize some of this stuff will be hard to find since I refuse to pay ebay inflated prices.

What do you guys have for suggestions? I really don't want to cut the dash and have no problem with using a cassette adaptor for an ipod. Open to suggestions. THrow some good model numbers out there so I can begin a search.

So far I've found a kenwood krc-2003 for 30 bucks that's in good shape.
THEUSETABOOST is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Search for discontinued vintage pieces at inflated prices, or...install a later model head unit with all the bells and whistles out of sight in the glove box, under the dash etc. and use the supplied remote to control it. Leave the original radio in the dash.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

There are amps now that can you stream to via Bluetooth eliminating the need for a stereo/head unit. You can also look up "retro head units" for something that is more modern but retains the classic look.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Duct Tape

Associate

Duct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond repute

Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
THEUSETABOOST

In other words what you guys are saying is that all the shaft style decks are severely underpowered?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEUSETABOOST View Post
In other words what you guys are saying is that all the shaft style decks are severely underpowered?
The good ones will be hard to find and pretty lean on features most come to expect in this day and age- interface features, tuning/processing features. Things like pinch rollers will likely be hardened and degraded on vintage units if you actually intend to use the cassette portion, and it is not uncommon to find defects in head alignment and defective auto reverse that keeps looping back and forth when a cassette adapter is inserted.

Thos retro looking versions Jimi mentioned are an alternative, but their overall build and sound quality won't be of the same standard as a new DIN unit from the likes of Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer. As for "power" from the internal amplifier, those will be lacking regardless of if you use a vintage shaft style unit or the best new DIN unit money can buy- if you care about sound, and external amplifier would be considered a must.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #7
THEUSETABOOST

Are there any shaft models that are worth looking for? Don't need the best of the best, just something decent for now. I did locate a kenwood krc-2003. Can't find any info on it but it does have some modern features to it. I assume most later alpines are going to have more power than most other brands. Id really like a stereo with a usb but if I can find a disc changer to mount in the trunk and load up I'd be fine with that. I have a small amp I could use to power a couple speakers if needed to. Just hoping to throw something useable together until I got 250 bucks to get one of the fancy new ones.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are there any shaft models that are worth looking for? Don't need the best of the best, just something decent for now. I did locate a kenwood krc-2003. Can't find any info on it but it does have some modern features to it. I assume most later alpines are going to have more power than most other brands. Id really like a stereo with a usb but if I can find a disc changer to mount in the trunk and load up I'd be fine with that. I have a small amp I could use to power a couple speakers if needed to. Just hoping to throw something useable together until I got 250 bucks to get one of the fancy new ones.
Power from HUs is pretty much the same regardless of brand since they all use the 12vdc from the battery as the voltage rail for the internal amp. You can expect about 14wrms/channel from most HUs.

Like XJ said any old shaft style HU you find will likely have issues with the cassette mechanism. The rubber parts just wear out and even if they haven't been used, then they become all stiff and dry rotted.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 AM   #9
THEUSETABOOST

ok guys thanks for the info. I'll just pick up whatever looks to be in good condition. I plan on trying to find a cd changer to mount in the trunk. I just HAD to give all that stuff away 10 years ago lol

Old 10-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff is just really nicejunkyardjeff is just really nicejunkyardjeff is just really nicejunkyardjeff is just really nice

I gutted a non working 8 track player and installed a modern stereo and mounted it under the dash in my 55 Ford,I was able to put a hinge on the front and when its up it just looks like a old under the dash 8 track. I had picked up another dash so I could modify it for the modern stereo but that was way too much work and did not want to disturb 60 year old wiring.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #11
dsw1204

dsw1204 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gonna be dragging home a 67 impala soon and not too thrilled about cutting the dash and the price of the retrosound units are too much imo. I've been on the lookout for a decent shaft style cassette deck, preferrably one of the latest ones with better features like digital display, loud button, decent power, etc. Thinking of also going with a cd changer. I know some of the kenwoods had cd changer controls but it's not necessarily needed. I also realize some of this stuff will be hard to find since I refuse to pay ebay inflated prices.

What do you guys have for suggestions? I really don't want to cut the dash and have no problem with using a cassette adaptor for an ipod. Open to suggestions. THrow some good model numbers out there so I can begin a search.

So far I've found a kenwood krc-2003 for 30 bucks that's in good shape.
I had an Alpine 7156 back in the '80s. Was a great deck, but I don't remember the features. It looked really cool, although. I had an external amp for it, but I can't remember if it is a dead-head head unit.

Google search it and you should find some info on it.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #12
THEUSETABOOST

I think what I'll end up doing is using a RV radio mount under the dash and install a modern radio. Replace the front and rear speakers with new and correct size. Try to find an extra pair of kick panels to cut for speakers. Don't know what size I can go with but hoping to at least run a shallow 6.5