CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
JLAudioCavalier

JLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond repute

Read This Please For The Love Of God!

Ok. This forum, more than any that I have seen, needs a bit of advice tossed in here...

1. When you are asking a question specificaly dealing with Subwoofers(i.e. "what subs would do best for application X", "I have this sub, specs are as follow ___, what is a reasonable amp for me?", "i have products X, Y and Z in my car already, and want to upgrade the low end. What would you suggest for listening style ___?" etc..), ASK IT HERE! Not in general, not in technical, not in installs.

2. When you are asking for people on this forum to suggest an amp for the sub(s) you have, give us some info on the sub beyond the model name/number. Some vital information, that is easy to find on your sub or packaging that will help us help you:

--How many voice coils does the sub have?

--What is the nominal impedance(resistance)[measured in ohms] of the voice coils?

--What is the RMS power handling rating of the sub(s) you are inquiring about?

--How many of these subs are you planning to use?

--Those are some very basic pieces of information that will help us on the forum recomend amps for you.

3. When you want a recomendation on what sub to run, just like above, we need some info from you first.

--What are you running for audio equipment already?

--What else do you plan on purchasing for your audio system?

--Have you already got an amp to power it?
--if so, what model? number of channels? RMS output per channel?

--How much do you plan to spend, and what ALL is this money being spent on?(i.e. just the sub? sub and amp? sub and enclosure? entire audio system? etc,,)

--What is your main goal for the sub(s)? [i.e. getting as loud as possible, good clean sound quality, combination of quality sound as well as the occasional fix of super loud ear shattering bass, etc...]

--How much room do you have? We could recomend what we as individuals feel is the absolute best sub for your application, but some subs run better sealed, some are built better for ported applications. But alas, you may not have room for the 4 Cubic foot ported box that sub A requires, thus leaving that recomendation useless.

--Last but definately not least. Wether this is asking what amp is best, or what sub is best, or what box you should run, or what frequency to tune it to. It is always helpful to know what you drive! I am not going to recomend the same subs and amps to someone driving a 2007 Tahoe as I am going to recomend to someone driving a 1968 VW Beetle.

I think that covers almost everything I wanted to get out there, I might update this if I get more free time here at work, and have anything else to add.

Last edited by JLAudioCavalier; 09-14-2010 at 02:38 AM.
JLAudioCavalier is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
JLAudioCavalier

JLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond reputeJLAudioCavalier has a reputation beyond repute

shameless bump because i think people need to read this

Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Jethro

Jethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JLAudioCavalier again.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
drozzy

drozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond repute

My vote for sticky.
drozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
JLAudioCavalier

Jethro, when did you rep me recently? sign your reps fool!

im feelin the love though... I still got this feeling like there was something on my mind earlier that I need to add to this... but I can't for the life if me remember

Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Djpac

Djpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond reputeDjpac has a reputation beyond repute

seems like a similar version of the Sticky in General
Djpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
peter_euro

peter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAudioCavalier
Ok. This forum, more than any that I have seen, needs a bit of advice tossed in here...

1. When you are asking a question specificaly dealing with Subwoofers(i.e. "what subs would do best for application X", "I have this sub, specs are as follow ___, what is a reasonable amp for me?", "i have products X, Y and Z in my car already, and want to upgrade the low end. What would you suggest for listening style ___?" etc..), ASK IT HERE! Not in general, not in technical, not in installs.

2. When you are asking for people on this forum to suggest an amp for the sub(s) you have, give us some info on the sub beyond the model name/number. Some vital information, that is easy to find on your sub or packaging that will help us help you:

--How many voice coils does the sub have?

--What is the nominal impendance(resistance)[measured in ohms] of the voice coils?

--What is the RMS power handling rating of the sub(s) you are inquiring about?

--How many of these subs are you planning to use?

--Those are some very basic pieces of information that will help us on the forum recomend amps for you.

3. When you want a recomendation on what sub to run, just like above, we need some info from you first.

--What are you running for audio equipment already?

--What else do you plan on purchasing for your audio system?

--Have you already got an amp to power it?
--if so, what model? number of channels? RMS output per channel?

--How much do you plan to spend, and what ALL is this money being spent on?(i.e. just the sub? sub and amp? sub and enclosure? entire audio system? etc,,)

--What is your main goal for the sub(s)? [i.e. getting as loud as possible, good clean sound quality, combination of quality sound as well as the occasional fix of super loud ear shattering bass, etc...]

--How much room do you have? We could recomend what we as individuals feel is the absolute best sub for your application, but some subs run better sealed, some are built better for ported applications. But alas, you may not have room for the 4 Cubic foot ported box that sub A requires, thus leaving that recomendation useless.

--Last but definately not least. Wether this is asking what amp is best, or what sub is best, or what box you should run, or what frequency to tune it to. It is always helpful to know what you drive! I am not going to recomend the same subs and amps to someone driving a 2007 Tahoe as I am going to recomend to someone driving a 1968 VW Beetle.

I think that covers almost everything I wanted to get out there, I might update this if I get more free time here at work, and have anything else to add.
Is this some kind of online therapy for ya? Are you venting?
peter_euro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
JLAudioCavalier

quite possibly it is therapy for me,... but i hope this helps thin out the number of "dur, i wanna thump, but maybe not bang too bad, but i want my sub to wang pretty good" questions.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

This is all great advice, but as the similar STICKY in the general section has shown us, it doesn't curb the number of "what is best" questions.

Your efforts are applauded.
PuffDaddy_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
peter_euro

peter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
quite possibly it is therapy for me,... but i hope this helps thin out the number of "dur, i wanna thump, but maybe not bang too bad, but i want my sub to wang pretty good" questions.
you missed the part about venting, the pun was intentional... Since nobody reads the stickies, just keep copying and pasting your own stuff since it is good and resort to breathing into a paper bag for therapy...

Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
peter_euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d
This is all great advice, but as the similar STICKY in the general section has shown us, it doesn't curb the number of "what is best" questions.

Your efforts are applauded.
I think we need a sticky about wiriting stickies...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
PHilPOT

PHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond reputePHilPOT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_euro
I think we need a sticky about wiriting stickies...

Hehehe
10char
PHilPOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it probably would help.....but not everyone reads the stickies anyway
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
JLAudioCavalier

Sticky or not, I hope my post's title gets some noobs' attention and they open it, read it, and change their mind about their single sentance recomendation question.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
peter_euro

Quote:
Sticky or not, I hope my post's title gets some noobs' attention and they open it, read it, and change their mind about their single sentance recomendation question.
it is pretty good info, you just have to remember to keep bumping it up...