CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
geolemon

Addict

geolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond reputegeolemon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnking
I donít disagree that some of this may be technical, but instead of splitting this upÖ.you should explain what the actual definition mean, not use an interpreted version of the definitions.
In this statement, you very concisely state in your own words that you have entirely missed the concept of this entire thread.

This thread has NOTHING (read that again. Now again. Now again.) to do with definitions.

This thread has ONLY to do with how you can USE these specs in meaningful ways, REGARDLESS of what "they technically might be".

Go start a thread on technical definitions, if that's what you are looking for. But I'll tell you now, there's already a ton of them, because that's ALL that T/S spec threads end up becoming.

And I am going to split out these last few posts into their own thread, because they've gone WAY off topic from what this thread is here to discuss.
geolemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 AM   #17
itsme

itsme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolemon
High Qts value? Very compatible in a sealed enclosure.
I thought in general, a high Qts is more suited to an infinite baffle...not necessarily, so of course check on what the manufacturer recomends, but I thought more often than not, it's the low Qts speaker that's likely to need the extra damping that a sealed enclosure provides. A low Qts speaker will be "looser" so would more likely need the air support found in a sealed enclosure.

edit...oops. after more reading I see a smaller box actually provides more spring/less damping

2nd edit....noticed something else...after lots of looking aournd the internet, I see some tutorials, comments, etc. say a high qts is more suited to a sealed enclosure, and others say it's more suited for an infinite baffle setup...so I guess there's some confusion or missunderstanding on that, even from the "experts"...pretty sure that a high qts is more likely to be suited to an infinite baffle though, but not in all cases. I think because a small sealed box raises the qts of the speaker?

Last edited by itsme; 02-20-2007 at 07:35 PM.
itsme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #18
thechris

insomniac

thechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond reputethechris has a reputation beyond repute

its based upon what is meant by "high" qts value. assuming the desired Qtc, after box, is 0.707 then a woofer with a Qts of 0.2 may need a tiny box to get a Qtc of 0.707. a woofer with a Qts of 0.7 would need a large box to get a Qtc of 0.707. Of course Vas will play a role in how box volume affects Q.

This is where the concept of "acoustic suspension" and "infinate baffel" come from. with AS, the box is made "small" compared to VAS. this means that Fc and Qc will be controlled by the box size. IB on the other hand makes the box much larger then VAS, meaning Fc and Qc will be controlled by the woofer.

And one assumes in an IB setup that the box size is large compared to Vas. Thus a woofer with a Qts between 0.577 and 1.0 would be a good choice.

Otherwise one would hope for a Qts below 0.5 as the box would raise this to the desired level.

edit -- in AS, the compliance of the box is much lower than the compliance of the woofer. because complainces add in parallel, the lowest compliance will dominate. in IB, the compliance of the woofer is much lower then the compliance of the box, meaning the woofer's complaince dominates.

Last edited by thechris; 08-26-2007 at 03:19 AM.
thechris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
Mr. Bentwrench

Mr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bentwrench has a reputation beyond repute

Bookmark a T/S parameter data base:

http://www.thielesmall.com/database.asp
Mr. Bentwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #20
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bentwrench View Post

Wow - it's got a huge woofer data base, but i'm not exactly sure how to use it. I tried using the drop down menus to specify what i was looking for for MTX brand (just as a test), and it just gave me the T/S specs for the 9500 only. Why did it select that model only?
PuffDaddy_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #21
Don Ganso

Don Ganso will become famous soon enough

Hey, this is what I'm looking for!!!
Good job geo
Don Ganso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
many330i

many330i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bentwrench View Post

Hey, that link is bad - mind posting a functional one?
many330i is offline   Reply With Quote