CarAudioForum.com

Old 08-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #31
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type_X
great job bassfreak

thanks
Thanks, glad to see someone can use it for reference. hopefully it will help with your decision and choice in finding desired response when purchasing equipment. this is just an explanition of the parameters nothing that would hint to real world proformance but IMO this is a good place to start.
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #32
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak
Thanks, glad to see someone can use it for reference. hopefully it will help with your decision and choice in finding desired response when purchasing equipment. this is just an explanition of the parameters nothing that would hint to real world proformance but IMO this is a good place to start.
yeah i've never really gotten a good grasp on the specs, when i have some time i'll try and learn it all....you will probably get a few pm's though, do you mind?
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #33
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type_X
yeah i've never really gotten a good grasp on the specs, when i have some time i'll try and learn it all....you will probably get a few pm's though, do you mind?
naw not at all. couple people PM me so i made this that way there not clueless they can ask specifically with they don't fully understand.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #34
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
naw not at all. couple people PM me so i made this that way there not clueless they can ask specifically with they don't fully understand.
good sh1t, thanks
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #35
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

for those of you who have been asking lately. bump..

Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #36
TheRealSystek

Fallen Audiophile

TheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond repute

almost a year after i posted on this thread and it sounds better this time around good job bassfreak!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #37
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSystek
almost a year after i posted on this thread and it sounds better this time around good job bassfreak!
made some corrections....thanks... still need to go into more detail on some of them which i will do... you have any systems? been a while since you posted..

Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #38
TheRealSystek

Fallen Audiophile

TheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond reputeTheRealSystek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
made some corrections....thanks... still need to go into more detail on some of them which i will do... you have any systems? been a while since you posted..

been a while since I posted??? im a mod and post daily

as for my current audio situation, i am running stock. its been a tough couple of years since i wrecked the tahoe w/all the goodies inside and have not had a vehicle worthy of an install. hopefully this year will be different. also, i live in an apartment now and have no power tools to do my own work. im actually hoping someone from caf that lives in H-town can help with this predicament when the time comes, but who knows...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #39
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSystek
been a while since I posted??? im a mod and post daily

as for my current audio situation, i am running stock. its been a tough couple of years since i wrecked the tahoe w/all the goodies inside and have not had a vehicle worthy of an install. hopefully this year will be different. also, i live in an apartment now and have no power tools to do my own work. im actually hoping someone from caf that lives in H-town can help with this predicament when the time comes, but who knows...
**** man your only 2 1/2 hours away. lol

Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #40
TheRealSystek

Fallen Audiophile

what really sux is that i have covered parking which is under the building so it's like having a warehouse to work in...but they have no storage down there nor any electrical plugs(although that could be easily remedied)...so i sold off all my power tools, air compressor and related supplies

Old 04-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #41
The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bassfreak.... thanks for all that work. Its great. One quick suggestion, copy and paste my version below because it is a little easier to read. I just improved on the layout

Explanation Of Audio Terms
  • FS- is the free air resonance of the driver. this in its simplest form means the driver moves easiest and impedance is at its highest. so you get the most output with the least work.
  • VAS- its the volume of air that has the same compliance as the suspension. compliance is the measure of the elasticity of the air equal to the suspension. so a VAS of 3.5 cubes means that the suspension has the same stiffness as 3.5 cubic feet of air(imagine compression of that air as for stiffness).
  • CMS- is how "stiff" the suspension is. this is the measure of the stiffness of the suspension in n/m usually at or close to rest, where the VAS is the measure of the elasticity of the suspension in cubic feet related to the air that is equal to its CMS. think about this in a tire. you have the same amount of space to fill, but you put 25PSI in the left tire and 40 PSI in the right tire(off the car) the left tire has about the same air space but the amount of air inside is lower so CMS is higher. while the 40 PSI tire very similar amount of space but the amount of compressed air inside is greater, so CMS is lower the result is the tire with the lower CMS and same VAS(amount of space) is a stiffer tire!.
  • QES- is the electrical dampening. so in other words you pass a signal through the voice coil, and the QES is how well the energy in converted to usable electromotive force in the magnetic field....
  • QMS- is the damping of the mechanical aspects of the driver. so the QMS is how it controls the cone movement when the woofer resonates. the higher the QMS the more it opposes resonance because of lack of control. the lower the QMS the more it opposes resonance because of being over controlling.. so ther for the lower the QMS the "stiffer" the suspension or the faster it will try to stop movement..
  • QTS- is the total Q before you has electrical and mechanical dampening losses so to say. its the raw driver dampening.
  • RMS- is the losses of the suspension meaning that the stiffer the suspension with the same vas the higher the "losses".this can contribute to how much a drive is able to move in a certain box with a given power... softer suspensions will move easier...
  • KMS- is the measure of how linear the suspensions stiffness remains through its excursion. the result of the suspension stiffness exceed 4X its CMS is defined as Xsus.
  • Xmax- this spec is often over looked and very hyped. It is the measure of excursion of the motor in linear terms similar to KMS but for the electrical side of the driver. its defined as when the B/L drops to 71% of total B/L you have a QES that has doubled and its consider non linear.
  • Xmag - is the measure of how far the motor can move the coil. this is limited to coil height and the gap's fringe field also power handling. some woofers may have a Xmag well beyond its coil height because of the flux fields outside the gap and extreme power handling(DD9515 for example) this is a good indicator of how strong the motors actual strength is beyond linear excursion. both the magnetic field and electromagnetic field from the coil.
  • B - is the measure of the flux density in the gap. the less space between the gaps the more density you have. this is often complemented with a lower QTS.
  • L - is equal to the length of the voice coil in the gap. so the longer the voice
    the higher your L. so if you use a smaller gauge wire you can get more L, but you add more MMS. its a trade off adn there really is no better option only the one for the application...
  • B/L - is both the B and the L combined.
  • RE - is the at rest DC resistance. so when no voltage is applied and when the amp first turns on this the resistance the amp sees.
  • Impedance - is the measure of the resistance of the voice coil when a AC signal is passed through. this varies as frequency varies and boxes/aligmetns vary.

• Pe - is the power handling of the woofer. its not thermal or mechanical but both. i think there should be both a thermal and mechanical spec but oh well.
  • FB - is the tuning frequency of the alignment.
  • F3 - is the -3 DB down point of the woofer, meaning that you are now relying on the mechanical dampening of the woofer instead of the dampening of the box and the woofer along with the port. in ported alignments you can hear anything under about -3 DB point, while the sealed boxes compliance stays much more linear so below this you can often hear it when you have the proper cabin gain.
  • SD - is the measure of the woofers cone area. a lot of people use 1/3 of the surround but i don't like to use this for a few reasons. as it doesn't relate to the actual cones displacement as its not constant.
  • BL^2/RE - this is to see how much B/L you have despite the RE rating. the lower the Re the less B/L you have so you can't compare a woofer rated with a B/L of 29@8 ohm and a woofer with a Re of 3.6 with a B/L of 22.

quick example. 9515 with dual 4ohm coils 29tm so.. 29^2/7.2-116
    the 9515 with an RE of 1.8 per or series RE of 3.6 the BL is 21tm or 122.5
    its important to look at this instead of B/L when comparing woofers with different RE's
    also B/L is potential motor strength meaning its not actual, but it part of the actual strength. power handling and QES also indicate motor strength!
    The voltage x amperage(power in watts) that is applied to the voice coil is important and equally important is how much is used(wasted as heat vs turned into electromotive force).

• MMS - referred to as the Moving mass of the speakers moving parts. its really simple but something that every good designer HAS to find a "balance" with among other parameters.
    sometimes people ask when is too much? or how do you "balance" it. if anyone shows interest in this maybe we can have a discussion on this.
  • KMS curves - its a simple graph of the suspension stiffness VS excursion! the flatter the better? not always! don't be fooled buy marketing and "ideal designs" because many designs aren't ideal for every application! another subject that can be dug into. questions!?
  • BL curve - and what in the hell does this mean!? simply it is a estimate(small signal parameter) of how well the motor maintains QES, along with B/L which is potential motor strength. is flatter better? generally yes, but there are sacrifices that MUST be made!! something else i would like to discuss and is a very hot topic between many people.
The_spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #42
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

looks good... make it a sticky... i still need to do some additions/edits...

Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #43
TheRealSystek

Fallen Audiophile

I just made it a sticky but im wondering if it should be moved to Technical...also, Geo already has a sticky thread over there about TS parameters and other speaker info in one thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #44
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

fixed ..........

Last edited by bassfreak; 04-11-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #45
The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
fixed ..........
close but no cigar sir.

Click "quote" on mine, and copy the whole thing with list tags and all.
The_spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote