CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #61
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond repute

The sensing circuit in pre-computer age, solid state regulators can not support more than a few amp's of current. I believe it would physically damage the voltage regulator.

The idea here was this wire is normally connected to the ignition switch on older vehicles. But does not supply current to the switch. When electrical demand increases, voltage would drop first at the ignition switch. When this drop begins some current would go from the alt through "sensing" wire to the switch. This caused the regulator to increase field current in the Alternator until voltage at the switch returned to preset levels.

My theory was to connect this wire to the + terminal on the amp. to see if it would "sense" high current demand at the Amplifier and keep voltage in the system from dropping.

Todays computer controlled voltage regulators no longer depend on this type of "sensing".

The schematic for my blazer show's one wire is connected to the vehicle control module(vcm). Another to the Powertrain control module(PCM).
ComfortablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #62
twilightarmy

twilightarmy is on a distinguished road

nm

i figured it out. im kinda new at this.
twilightarmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #63
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond reputeComfortablyNumb has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for "Big 3" Tutorials. If you got one post it.

I have two, but I know there's more out there.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 09-25-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #64
ComfortablyNumb

Iraggi Alternator has brought an Adjustable voltage regulator to market!!

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 01-26-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #65
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb
Friggin sweet! Too bad I can't use it on my factory alt.
PuffDaddy_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #66
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d
Friggin sweet! Too bad I can't use it on my factory alt.
I know. Unless he has investigated how someone can bypass their OEM regulator, me thinks this has to be used with a special Iraggi Alt.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #67
ComfortablyNumb

One item of contention I have with this voltage regulator is the upper voltage limit. The under-educated will raise their voltage to high, which can harm other area's of a car's electrical system. Not to mention charging the battery with to high of a voltage level will cause battery damage.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #68
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
It would appear this Regulator has been on the market for some time, and is cheaper here. http://store.alternatorparts.com/ind...&Category=1706

Old 01-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #69
PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond reputePuffDaddy_d has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It would appear this Regulator has been on the market for some time, and is cheaper here. http://store.alternatorparts.com/ind...&Category=1706
LOL - good catch!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #70
ComfortablyNumb

I'm surprised I've never seen this before. Neat Idea.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #71
PuffDaddy_d

Quote:
I'm surprised I've never seen this before. Neat Idea.
Finally! An "innovative" idea that's actually useful. Now they just need to make an AGU version and I'd be set.

(AGU fuses are the devil!)

Old 01-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #72
Duct Tape

Associate

Duct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond reputeDuct Tape has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffDaddy_d

(AGU fuses are the devil!)
you wont find them POS's in my car. Maxi fuses ftw
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #73
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
A 1991 Buick has a Delco CS-130 Alternator. Your voltage regulator has a built in delay to high amperage load's. Depending on the regulator the rebuilder installed, the delay is either 2.5 or 10 seconds.

I have emailed a couple of H-O Alt manufacturers, to see if there are any alternative Voltage regulators on the market that do not have built-in delay.
I found some info that relates to the "Load Response Control" specification(LRC). So I though I should expand on the above post from another thread.

The info I have relates to GM Alternators only(GM is the Assignee of the patent). I have not found anything relating to other brands. As far as I can tell, it's a circuit inside the voltage regulator that slow's down the regulators response to sudden voltage drop's.

Here is the description.

Quote:
United States Patent 4459489

This invention relates to a generator load response control and more particularly to a load response control for a diode-rectified alternating current generator that supplies the electrical loads on a motor vehicle including the vehicle battery.

The conventional electrical system of a motor vehicle includes an engine driven generator which supplies charging voltage to the motor vehicle battery and supplies the other electrical loads on the vehicle. The generator may take the form of a diode-rectified alternating current generator and the output voltage of the generator is controlled by a voltage regulator which senses generator output voltage and controls field current to maintain a desired regulated voltage for the system. As generator output voltage drops below the desired regulated value the regulator senses this condition and increases field current and when generator output voltage exceeds the desired regulated value field current is decreased. When a transistor voltage regulator is utilized the field current is switched on and off by a transistor connected in series with the field winding and the transistor switches in accordance with changes in sensed generator output voltage. When a substantial electrical load is switched on the generator output voltage will suddenly drop with the result that a conventional voltage regulator will sharply increase field current to increase generator output voltage toward the desired regulated value. This sharp increase in field current suddenly loads the generator and because of this imposes a suddenly increasing torque load on the engine with the result that the engine has a tendency to slow down. Where the engine is a small engine and is operating at idle speed under control of an idle speed control device a sudden increase in electrical load and the resultant response of a conventional voltage regulator can cause the engine to sharply slow down and perhaps even stall and in general adversely affects the control provided by the idle speed control system. Thus, the idle speed control may go into a hunting mode and vibration of the engine may occur.

It accordingly is one of the objects of this invention to provide a voltage regulating system for a generator which prevents the imposition of a sharply increasing torque load on the engine that drives the generator when an electrical load is applied to the generator. In carrying this object forward the system of this invention is capable of detecting a sudden drop in generator output voltage but instead of sharply increasing field current when this condition occurs the system gradually increases field current so as to gradually load the generator and bring its output voltage back up to the desired regulated value.

Another object of this invention is to provide a system of the type that has been described which includes means for sensing and storing a signal that corresponds to the amount of field current being supplied to the generator field during normal voltage regulator operation and when the sudden drop in generator output voltage is detected utilizing this stored information to set a field current value that is substantially equal to the field current that existed just prior to the detected drop in voltage and then increase field current slowly from that value for a period of time.

Still another object of this invention is to provide a system of the type that has been described wherein field current is pulse width modulated when the drop in system voltage is detected and is modulated such as to slowly increase average field current.

A further object of this invention is to provide a load response control of the type described which includes means for detecting the drop in system voltage and then slowly increasing field current from a predetermined level and wherein the control includes means for preventing re-triggering of the control by another drop in voltage for a time period during which field current is being slowly increased.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4459489.html
I have yet to confirm this in my Blazer. With engine running and as much electrical stuff turned on, I then turn on the rear window defroster(the highest load in any vehicle). With the engine at 1000 rpm, there is no severe voltage drop. Once the engine is warmed up and at low idle speed, in gear(600 rpm) the rear window defroster will cause voltage to drop to battery voltage. It doesn't recover unless I raise engine speed a little. Then it recovers to full voltage.

This LRC circuit has been in GM Voltage regulators since 1986. Basically all CS and AD series alternators. My theory was that in vehicles that have these Alt's, Light dimming will not be curable.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 01-31-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #74
ComfortablyNumb

Finally confirmed. My Blazer appears to have a 2.5 second LRC, voltage regulator. It even did what the prior description said it would(amazing I know). It didn't let system voltage drop all the way down to battery voltage. It dropped from 13.8, down to 13vdc. Then slowly increased voltage back to 13.8 vdc.

As of yet, I can't find any replacement Voltage rgeulators for GM CS and AD series alt's that do not have LRC. Since the mid 90's, Ford products have also had LRC regulators. But I did find regulators that do not have LRC for the Ford 4G and 6G alternators.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 07-31-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #75
ComfortablyNumb

I emailed WAI/Transpo a couple days ago explaining that want for a non-LRC voltage regulator for GM app's. The person that responded said it would never happen. He stated it would be impossible to have OBD-I and OBD-II compliance without LRC. The only regulators they have CS-130, CS-144 and CS-130D applications that do not have LRC are Self-exciting regulators, and they are meant to be retrofitted to older vehicles that do not have OBD ecm's.

On GM OBD app's, the voltage regulator either act's a sensor for, or is controlled by the ECM/PCM/BCM(depending on the app).