CarAudioForum.com

Old 07-14-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Lee

Administrator

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Engine Noise Flowchart

Engine Noise Flowchart

I started building this back in '97 -- ok, I actually built it in a day back in '97 -- updated the copyright in '98 and haven't really added anything to it, or finished it, since.

I would like to see it corrected and completed. If you see anything in it that needs correcting, please post it here -- also, if you think you can make some additions to it to help complete it, post them here as well. I will integrate them into the finished product.

I hear from people all the time that have found this useful. I probably would be more so if complete.

Let's see some feedback from you guys that actually know something.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-31-2003, 05:12 AM   #2
Sid Grice

Sid Grice is a jewel in the roughSid Grice is a jewel in the roughSid Grice is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Turn the gains on your amps up three quarter, now with the engine running, turn the system ON, and turn the volume all the way down. Slightly reving the engine, do you hear noise?
You should begin by testing the minimum and maximum adjustment for the gain adjustment, and making sure the person performing the test is somewhat familiar with electronics.

Quote:
With ignition key in the off position, locate the gain adjustemt screw (or dial) for the amp that is suspected of creating the noise. Using a non metalic tool (Electroinics screwdriver), turn the gain adjustment fully clockwise. Make note of the final postiton of the adjustment screw. This will be known as the maximum setting for the amplifiers gain. Now, turn the gain adjustment fully counterclockwise. Again, note the final postion of the adjustment screw. This will be know as the minimum gain adjustment.

Once the minimum and maximum setting is known, start with the gain setting in the minimum position and begin rotating it clockwise until the screw is set at 3/4 of maximum position.

Once the gain for the suspected amplifier has been set, start the vehicles engine. Turn on the radio, and adjust the volume control to its minimum setting.

Turn off any accessories that may generate noise (such as the A/C fan motor), that could interfere with the test procedures. While listening for any uncommon noise, gently accelerate the engines throttle. Do you hear a noise, that is directly proportionate to the throttle of the engine?

As you can tell, I would not be able to assist you in your quest. I am unable to render an shortened version. But, I do wish you luck in getting the flowchart finished.

Last edited by Sid Grice; 07-31-2003 at 05:16 AM.
Sid Grice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
No Bull please

No Bull please has a spectacular aura aboutNo Bull please has a spectacular aura aboutNo Bull please has a spectacular aura about

Hi guys, i new to the forum but i have been involved in the auto audio industry some years now, and I apologise for my accent & spelling (trunk = boot, to me). Anyway back to setting up your system and getting rid of the NOISE.

Q. if you have the engine running and the system on does the noise change it frequency as you rev the engine, and does the noise get worse if you turn on lights and air con. ?

Q where have you run RCA cable in relation to power cables (audio and vehicle OE fit)

Q have you terminated the source unit's earth on the earth terminal for you amp(s), and not in the original loom.

Q did you use a clean connection for you earthing terminal

I may have asked a few basic questions that someone else has alredy asked, if i have i can only apologise, but I hope that this may have helped, if I can be of any further help please " Holla "??

No Bull please is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
Boardin087

Boardin087 is a jewel in the roughBoardin087 is a jewel in the roughBoardin087 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by No Bull please
Hi guys, i new to the forum but i have been involved in the auto audio industry some years now, and I apologise for my accent & spelling (trunk = boot, to me). Anyway back to setting up your system and getting rid of the NOISE.

Q. if you have the engine running and the system on does the noise change it frequency as you rev the engine, and does the noise get worse if you turn on lights and air con. ?

Q where have you run RCA cable in relation to power cables (audio and vehicle OE fit)

Q have you terminated the source unit's earth on the earth terminal for you amp(s), and not in the original loom.

I may have asked a few basic questions that someone else has alredy asked, if i have i can only apologise, but I hope that this may have helped, if I can be of any further help please " Holla "??

i think u mean grounding....... not earthing.
Boardin087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2003, 07:16 AM   #5
SWYZ721

SWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond reputeSWYZ721 has a reputation beyond repute

If you hit "NO" on the first page/question, it's a 404 error!
SWYZ721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2003, 05:19 PM   #6
micray83

micray83 will become famous soon enoughmicray83 will become famous soon enough

Why does this thread have almost 1000 views? wtf
micray83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
shootme5150

Fat Drunken Bastard

shootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond reputeshootme5150 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by micray83
Why does this thread have almost 1000 views? wtf
I've referred numerous people to this thread because it's the only link I know of to the actual flowchart...
shootme5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
SoundsGood

2 E10K's + USX 800D = fun

SoundsGood has a spectacular aura aboutSoundsGood has a spectacular aura aboutSoundsGood has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Boardin087
In European and many island nations a ground in an electrical connection is referred to as earth.
SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
caraudio nutt

caraudio nutt has a spectacular aura aboutcaraudio nutt has a spectacular aura aboutcaraudio nutt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Boardin087
If you have been in the field for a long period of time, why do you call the ground "earthing"?
caraudio nutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
caraudio nutt

caraudio nutt has a spectacular aura aboutcaraudio nutt has a spectacular aura aboutcaraudio nutt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by No Bull please

You should have told him that he or she should have sanded the paint so they have a good ground. Make sure you have picked a spot that grounds to the frame of your car.Make sure the connection is solid and not loose!!!!
caraudio nutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #11
Faruchos

Faruchos will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know exactly what makes the sound, or what the interfearence is? Is the engine interfearing with the 4 gauge power wire, or the rca's?
Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
Mister_B

Mister_B will become famous soon enoughMister_B will become famous soon enough

will grounding a capacitor and amp in different locations cause a whine that does not gain volume at all ?
Mister_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
tay-

tay- will become famous soon enough

I get a 404 error.
tay- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2004, 04:03 AM   #14
ACURALEGEND

ACURALEGEND can only hope to improve

i also get a 404 error
ACURALEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #15