CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
gage67M

gage67M is on a distinguished road

9512j console box build

I'd like for someone here to help with a console box design for my new 9512. I'm planning on giving it around 3000-3500 watts (maybe a audiolegion amp or BC3500, I'd like to consider those before a digital designs. I think my truck will have sufficient electrical for it, It's a diesel so it already has two batteries and the stock alternator output should be 136. I listen to mainly rap, hiphop, R&B. I know my box should be around 2.5^3 ft, and I have enough space from front to back to place it I believe, it's a club cab auto 2wd truck so I've got floor space up front and I plan on putting some cup holders in the box so the dash cup holders won't be in the way. I'd like some information on port size and shape that would be optimal for this sub, I figure it will be facing upward, port upward too. Any thoughts?
gage67M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Your port will need to be bigger than average, maybe 16sqinches per cuft - you'll need to do some modeling. Check with DD. I doubt your 136 amp alternator is going to cut it for a 3kw amp. I'd also try to get the sub on a vertical plane if possible since subs are designed to be ~vertical. Double up on the baffle and brace the hell out of the enclosure.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
gage67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Your port will need to be bigger than average, maybe 16sqinches per cuft - you'll need to do some modeling. Check with DD. I doubt your 136 amp alternator is going to cut it for a 3kw amp. I'd also try to get the sub on a vertical plane if possible since subs are designed to be ~vertical. Double up on the baffle and brace the hell out of the enclosure.
What output of alternator would you recommend? And I'm planning to run it firing up since I've tried running it vertical and noticed a major difference in my truck. The sub hits a little harder and sounds a lot better when it's facing up. Would the port be better to be round or slotted? if that makes any difference.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...ut+Alternators

Past from defects stemming from poor knowledge...port whistle is your main enemy...slotted or ported.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

200A alt. Bring box down to 2.3ft3 net so you can have 36-38in2 of port. The Sound Magus 3500 is $479 and the Twisted Sounds 2.8k is $599. I've seen a couple 'birthsheets' from the TS 2.8k amps, and they all do 3.2k+ @ 1 ohm (14.4V) No need to spend $800, when you can get the same watts for $600.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of light

Round or slotted does not matter, its all about port area. i will say that it is easier to get a slot port in smaller boxes than a round one since you will most likely have to have some turns in the port.
ckeeler11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2017, 03:37 AM   #7
gage67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillio View Post
200A alt. Bring box down to 2.3ft3 net so you can have 36-38in2 of port. The Sound Magus 3500 is $479 and the Twisted Sounds 2.8k is $599. I've seen a couple 'birthsheets' from the TS 2.8k amps, and they all do 3.2k+ @ 1 ohm (14.4V) No need to spend $800, when you can get the same watts for $600.
Alright. I'm designing out how I want it right now and a new question popped up. And that is what would the differences be in having a basic L shaped port and having a labyrinth port? Also what exactly is the point of those window like inserts people tend to put in boxes? I've seen them in build videos and all that but never quite got the point of it.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of lightckeeler11 is a glorious beacon of light

The "L" port will be more efficient. You want to have the least amount of turns possible unless you are designing a horn which is a whole other animal.
ckeeler11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
gage67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeler11 View Post
The "L" port will be more efficient. You want to have the least amount of turns possible unless you are designing a horn which is a whole other animal.
Alright. I've seen somewhere that a horn would sound better than a ported box, any truth to it? And Would a horn require more space or about the same amount? I've looked up a few and they seem to have had more space compared to a regular ported enclosure.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage67M View Post
Alright. I've seen somewhere that a horn would sound better than a ported box, any truth to it? And Would a horn require more space or about the same amount? I've looked up a few and they seem to have had more space compared to a regular ported enclosure.
A horn is more complicated and does take up more space. Personally, I'd go ported.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote