Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
Audi-6ix

Audi-6ix is on a distinguished road

Not getting enough bass inside car! - Help

I just installed the following setup:
JBL Club 5501 amp - 550W @ 2 ohm
Alpine Type S SWS-10D4 - 500W @2ohm

I have the factory B&O amplifier powering all speakers. The new amplifier accepts speaker level inputs so I disconnected the factory subwoofer and ran the positive and negative subwoofer wires from the old amplifier in to the new amplifier.

The issue I am having is the bass is not punchy enough. I have tried messing around with the gain, frequency and bass boost - have tried putting them to high levels and I just don't seem to be getting phenomenal bass. When I open the trunk I feel like i hear more bass then I do when I'm sitting in the car - I tried switching the phase but that made no difference to sound.

Can somebody tell me things I should try or point out if I did something wrong?

Other questions I had:
1. Since the head unit is communicating with the old amplifier and I am using a high level input into the new amp, should I keep the bass on my head unit at full just so the entire signal is being sent to the new amplifier and set the gains afterwards?

2. Would using a LOC help? It does not sound like a 500W system atm I only feel the bass in my chest if i am against the seat and even then it's not hitting hard enough
Audi-6ix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-08-2017, 01:47 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

500 watts is not a measure of performance you can expect or a certain level of output- it is only an indicator of what kind of power you can put through the woofer voice coil(s) before thermal damage takes place.

There are subs designed to get loud, subs designed to sound good, some that do a decent job at both (not to mention a whole lot of mediocre and crappy subs) on the market in a variety of power handling ranges, with some low powered woofers getting louder per watt than many with much higher power handling. How well a given woofer will perform depends a great deal on the enclosure (as important as the sub itself) as well as things like aiming, tuning and proper amplification. If you aim the new woofer straight back at the license plate, does bass up front improve? Do you have the voice coils wired together in correct polarity, in parallel for a 2 ohm load?
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote