CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #31
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Some time with some test tones, sine sweeps and a measuring device (like an RTA app on a smart phone) and then some well-recorded tracks you know well from listening on a reference system should sort that out .
I would have done that by now, but my DQDX is in the trunk and has to be adjusted via the pots on the front. Needless to say, it's a bit of a pain to go back to the trunk, make an adjustment, sit back in the car to listen, back to the trunk, etc, etc. I'm looking forward to getting my DM-608, which is controlled via USB interface, so I can sit in the driver's seat and make tweaks with my laptop. I believe the DM-608 will be available in February.
mossman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #32
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I would have done that by now, but my DQDX is in the trunk and has to be adjusted via the pots on the front. Needless to say, it's a bit of a pain to go back to the trunk, make an adjustment, sit back in the car to listen, back to the trunk, etc, etc. I'm looking forward to getting my DM-608, which is controlled via USB interface, so I can sit in the driver's seat and make tweaks with my laptop. I believe the DM-608 will be available in February.
Less of a pain than building boxes, swapping subs, spending money on more subs
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #33
mossman

mossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura aboutmossman has a spectacular aura about

Another thing I meant to mention is that the bass sounds like it's coming from behind me. I adjusted the delay on the DQDX and it didn't seem to make a difference. How do I fix this? Swap the polarity? Adjust the xover point downward? Unfortunately, the markings on my sundown amp LPF ranges from 50 Hz to 5 kHz, so it's difficult to tell what frequency it is actually set to. No clue why they would do this.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #34
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Another thing I meant to mention is that the bass sounds like it's coming from behind me. I adjusted the delay on the DQDX and it didn't seem to make a difference. How do I fix this? Swap the polarity? Adjust the xover point downward? Unfortunately, the markings on my sundown amp LPF ranges from 50 Hz to 5 kHz, so it's difficult to tell what frequency it is actually set to. No clue why they would do this.
Swapping polarity on the woofer can help, as can using an appropriate low pass filter point. Dials can be approximate, so test tones to see what gets attenuated can narrow the exact crossover point down some. If the crossover on your AudioControl is handier, by all means use that.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #35
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
Do try adding a few db's of EQ on frequencies at and below the point bass starts to roll off in the smaller enclosure.

Polyfill is better for inside the box, sound deadener is better for panels that vibrate outside the box.

One works by damping the air inside the enclosure and tricking the woofer into "seeing" a larger air space than is actually there, while the other lowers the resonant frequency a panel vibrates at by adding mass...if the enclosure is made of MDF, it is acoustically inert and won't vibrate in an audible way with the frequencies produced by the subwoofer on/in the enclosure- it may help some with plastic enclosures (like some vehicle specific loaded boxes and OEM sub enclosures).
Thatīs what I meant.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #36
SPL_Krayzie112

Quote:
Multimeter I suppose?

Old 01-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #37
mossman

Flipping the polarity had no effect. I adjusted the sub EQ from inside the trunk to a more or less flat response while listening to a test tone CD, then took a listen inside the car. The response was (understandably) drastically different. A lot of frequencies that sounded strong in the trunk were very weak inside the car, so evidently a lot of cancellation going on.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #38
SPL_Krayzie112

Quote:
Flipping the polarity had no effect. I adjusted the sub EQ from inside the trunk to a more or less flat response while listening to a test tone CD, then took a listen inside the car. The response was (understandably) drastically different. A lot of frequencies that sounded strong in the trunk were very weak inside the car, so evidently a lot of cancellation going on.
Try adjusting your box positioning.

Place the box closer to the trunks opening with the subs facing the cabin. And then try it again with the box closer to the trunk opening but now with the subs facing away from the cabin.

Now try putting the box closer to the back seat with the subs facing the cabin. Now try it again with the box close to the backseat but now with the subs facing away from the cabin.

Which one sounds better?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #39
mossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
Try adjusting your box positioning.

Place the box closer to the trunks opening with the subs facing the cabin. And then try it again with the box closer to the trunk opening but now with the subs facing away from the cabin.

Now try putting the box closer to the back seat with the subs facing the cabin. Now try it again with the box close to the backseat but now with the subs facing away from the cabin.

Which one sounds better?
I already did that and there wasn't much difference. I want to say sub firing rearward was the best, but that could because I already have the knowledge that it typically is the best. The real test would be to have someone else do it and not tell me how they positioned it.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #40
SPL_Krayzie112

Quote:
I already did that and there wasn't much difference. I want to say sub firing rearward was the best, but that could because I already have the knowledge that it typically is the best. The real test would be to have someone else do it and not tell me how they positioned it.
Try sound deadeners...not the Dynamat kind...the sound proofing mats that look like fibreglass wall insulation. Can you sacrifice the rear deck of your car where 6x9īs or rear speakers ought to be?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #41
mossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
Try sound deadeners...not the Dynamat kind...the sound proofing mats that look like fibreglass wall insulation. Can you sacrifice the rear deck of your car where 6x9īs or rear speakers ought to be?
My rear deck is already sound deadened and no rear speakers.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #42
SPL_Krayzie112

Quote:
My rear deck is already sound deadened and no rear speakers.
Not the deck...the inside of the enclosure.