CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Vintage Old School

Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
svx604

svx604 is on a distinguished road

high end early 90's deck suggestions

I'd like to "upgrade" my 1990 car's stock blaupunkt deck to something better.
I cannot exceed year model 1992 due to a collector's car insurance policy.
What high end decks are affordable/attainable?
Cassette decks preferred

(I'll be using a cassette to phone adapter)to keep things stock.
I cannot modify the deck. No aftermarket amp allowed either.
svx604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-19-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
svx604

svx604 is on a distinguished road

Anybody, hello?
svx604 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 AM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Fellow 604 dweller?

There isn't much call for vintage cassette head units- a 24-26 year old cassette unit will likely have issues with pinch rollers at the very least. If you are determined, then you could probably track down a vintage Alpine unit that will fit the bill (eBay, forum classifieds etc.) and possibly still work or be fix-able should parts still be available.

If you want some model numbers that are categorized by year of manufacture, this parts supplier has an online library that may help- select "Alpine" from the manufacturer list and scroll through. Year of manufacture is listed in the right side column.

http://www.pacparts.com/library/default.cfm
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.oldschoolstereo.com/2012/...d-changer.html

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...lpine+cassette

Old 05-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx604 View Post
Cassette decks preferred

Ouch, that's tough. Not only will the decks be rare finds, but all the rubber parts (belts and pinch rollers) that run the cassette deck will be dried out and require replacement. Good luck.

Can leave your existing deck and remotely mount another deck in the glove box or under the dash?
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
jmg2

jmg2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx604 View Post
Cassette decks preferred

what car insurance do you have that won't let you update a HU?
I have agrred-value insurance from haggerty on a '67 corvette, and I've done a ton of shopping around.. never heard of something like this.
jmg2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg2 View Post
what car insurance do you have that won't let you update a HU?
I have agrred-value insurance from haggerty on a '67 corvette, and I've done a ton of shopping around.. never heard of something like this.
I don't believe the OP has been back so I won't speak for him, but if he lives where I think he does, car insurance is expensive and US insurance companies don't serve this market. The one plus for people with collectible cars of a certain age in this area (B.C. Canada) is that they can get something called "collector's plates" for classic vehicles with reduced insurance rates that comes with restrictions on usage, and requires the vehicle conform to certain standards, that limit use of aftermarket gear and require the vehicle to be without visible modifications, without rust or damage, and have no customized parts or paintwork. Antique vehicles can get "vintage plates" with another type of insurance again. Anything resembling a hot rod or other highly modified vintage vehicle gets more typical insurance with coverage like you mention and probably compares in cost to insuring a newer vehicle.

To give you an idea, my car is coming up on 4 years old, has one driver with 30+ years of safe driving/no at-fault claims and I pay about $1800/year to insure it. If I had a vintage car (and I do, but its not on the road running and registered) and it met the insurance company's standards for qualifying for collector plates, I could drive it for pleasure use only for small a fraction of that cost. Until recently, a classic car 20 years old or older not meeting criteria for antique vehicles could be registered with collector plates but had to be 100% stock with no audio upgrades or other modifications, but I understand they have relaxed this in the last year or two to allow use of aftermarket audio equipment of the same era the vehicle represents...bogus I know, but if you want a healthy percentage off the insurance cost people jump through these hoops rather than use plain old insurance with regular plates.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
jmg2

jmg2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
I don't believe the OP has been back so I won't speak for him, but if he lives where I think he does, car insurance is expensive and US insurance companies don't serve this market. The one plus for people with collectible cars of a certain age in this area (B.C. Canada) is that they can get something called "collector's plates" for classic vehicles with reduced insurance rates that comes with restrictions on usage, and requires the vehicle conform to certain standards, that limit use of aftermarket gear and require the vehicle to be without visible modifications, without rust or damage, and have no customized parts or paintwork. Antique vehicles can get "vintage plates" with another type of insurance again. Anything resembling a hot rod or other highly modified vintage vehicle gets more typical insurance with coverage like you mention and probably compares in cost to insuring a newer vehicle.

To give you an idea, my car is coming up on 4 years old, has one driver with 30+ years of safe driving/no at-fault claims and I pay about $1800/year to insure it. If I had a vintage car (and I do, but its not on the road running and registered) and it met the insurance company's standards for qualifying for collector plates, I could drive it for pleasure use only for small a fraction of that cost. Until recently, a classic car 20 years old or older not meeting criteria for antique vehicles could be registered with collector plates but had to be 100% stock with no audio upgrades or other modifications, but I understand they have relaxed this in the last year or two to allow use of aftermarket audio equipment of the same era the vehicle represents...bogus I know, but if you want a healthy percentage off the insurance cost people jump through these hoops rather than use plain old insurance with regular plates.
Learn something new every day.... I'm paying under $1,000 from haggerty for a '67 buick and a '67 corvette.the only restriction is that I have to drive them less than an agreed-upon mileage per year... and the value is an agreed to value. I can make whatever modifications I want.

Though I imagine if I painted the 'vette bright purple, they may not agree it's worth as much, and could try to reduce the coverage.
jmg2 is offline   Reply With Quote