CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Build Logs

Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Dylby1

Dylby1 has a spectacular aura aboutDylby1 has a spectacular aura about

Dylby1 2003 Ford Falcon XR6 SLOW audio build

Hey guys
Thought id introduce myself properly, and the car that all the audio will be going into

The car may be new to alot of people, after all i am Australian.

The car is a 2003 model, Ford BA XR6 Falcon.

Ive recently had my subs (which were about 6 years old or something) finally died, aswell as a set of speakers. So i am going to slowly, over a matter of months build up a whole new sound system, only thing remaining from my old system is the headunit.

Old parts:
Pioneer DEH-7350BT headunit
Precision instruments front 6.5 inch components
Soundstream tarantula (blown) 6.5 inch components
2 x Pioneer Champion series subs. TS-W307D4 IIRC
and a Kenwood KAC-9105D mono amp running the subs

Ive got another thread with plans, and after advice on what to upgrade to. so have a look here http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=339691

I look forward to hopefully getting to know some of you guys a bit, and learning a heap along the way

Cheers.

This is the car its all going into:

Dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Reeseman

Reeseman will become famous soon enoughReeseman will become famous soon enough

sweet looking car. Excited to see how she turns out
Reeseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Dylby1

Thanks, ill keep it fully updated as i do things haha

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Dylby1

Ok, so i think i've basically got my plans set.

This will cost total, if i get it all at once, $1615 AUD delivered from america with "UPS Worldwide Expedited"

In USD thats roughly $1700

Subs:
2 x Alpine SWR-1243D subs
1 x Boston Acoustics GT-2300
Dual 12 Inch sub box (to fill time between getting it all, and having the money for a custom boot layout)
1 x RE Audio WK-0A 0 gauge wiring kit
1 x Boston Acoustics GT-RSL remote level control

Speakers:
(i already have a wiring kit in the car for this, 4 gauge)
1 pair Infinity 60.9 CS component speakers (front)
1 pair Infinity 62.9I 2 way speakers (rear)
1 x RE Audio XTX800.4 4 channel amp.

Links to the packs ill be buying them as are here
Subs:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-Package.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cs-GT-RSL.html

Speakers:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Amplifier.html

Pretty sure thats everything covered.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
FutureFuzz 26

FutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally stay away from Infinity Audio, and Boston Acoustics recently stopped making car audio equipment which would make me want to keep away from any of there stuff
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Reeseman

Every thing looks decent except for what Future recommended. Those type r's will probably sound better if you can build a custom enclosure for them rather than a prefab. Look at Image Dynamics Speakers, they have a nice component set for 160 on www.woofersect.com, Rainbows are also something you may want to look into. Also, RE has gone to **** apparentlly, so using that as your speaker amp may be the wrong choice. Look into The Arc audio series amplifiers

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
FutureFuzz 26

FutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond reputeFutureFuzz 26 has a reputation beyond repute

Sundown Audio is making a name for itself in the industry, every thing they make from mids to amps are worth a look
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Dylby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFuzz 26 View Post
I would personally stay away from Infinity Audio, and Boston Acoustics recently stopped making car audio equipment which would make me want to keep away from any of there stuff
Ah fair enough, I'd heard Boston was really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeseman View Post
Every thing looks decent except for what Future recommended. Those type r's will probably sound better if you can build a custom enclosure for them rather than a prefab. Look at Image Dynamics Speakers, they have a nice component set for 160 on www.woofersect.com, Rainbows are also something you may want to look into. Also, RE has gone to **** apparentlly, so using that as your speaker amp may be the wrong choice. Look into The Arc audio series amplifiers
The Pre fab box is temporary, just to get everything running until I've got the moolah to get a custom one done.

I've actually found an Australian based store so I'll be buying through them, looking at alpine amps and speakers depending on the $$
Full alpine would be great, except the head unit since my pioneer is only 3 weeks old haha
Hadn't heard anything about RE so I was basically flying blind there
I've had a few mates with infinity who haven't had any issues, sounded great and lasted really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFuzz 26 View Post
Sundown Audio is making a name for itself in the industry, every thing they make from mids to amps are worth a look
Never heard of sundown, will be something else to look into thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
Reeseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylby1 View Post
Ah fair enough, I'd heard Boston was really good

The Pre fab box is temporary, just to get everything running until I've got the moolah to get a custom one done.

I've actually found an Australian based store so I'll be buying through them, looking at alpine amps and speakers depending on the $$
Full alpine would be great, except the head unit since my pioneer is only 3 weeks old haha
Hadn't heard anything about RE so I was basically flying blind there
I've had a few mates with infinity who haven't had any issues, sounded great and lasted really well.

Never heard of sundown, will be something else to look into thanks
Sundown is great. Have you heard the infinitys in comparison to say some hertz , focal, rainbow? Those speakers will blow them away. Even the 160 pair of image dynamics

Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Dylby1

Nah i havent, but none of us have the budget, nor the necessity to warrant the price of focal and other top line stuff like that haha.

The shop over here doesnt sell sundown, theyve got a few cheaper brands (Boss, Eclipse, Sony, Infinity) but mainly alot of mid-high range stuff
The main ones they sell are:
Pioneer, Kenwood, Soundstream, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine and Kicker with a few other brands in between

I've made up yet another list all from the local mob ( www.elite-electronics.com.au ), its all Soundstream and Alpine, with a Soundstream wiring kit for the subs and Stinger RCA's to replace the junk US Audio ones that are in my car at the moment

I've gone for a 2 channel amp to amp just the front speakers, and a set of entry level coax for the back.

1 pair Alpine SPR-60C Type-R 6.5" Component Speakers
1 pair SoundStream SF-652T 6-1/2" Coaxial Speakers
1 pair of Alpine SWR-1243D Type-R 12" Subwoofers
1 x Soundstream REF1.1000 Mono Block Amplifier
1 x SoundStream REF2.370 1/2 Channel Amplifier
1 x SoundStream WK-2G 2 AWG Complete Amp Wiring Kit

As said, it will be a slow build of sorts, over the space of a few months i will buy all of this piece by piece, then once i have it all I'll install it over a couple of days. That way i only have to pull the car apart once, apart from the boot.

With the boot install, i will do the initial install with a generic twin sub box, until i have a chance to get a proper sub box built for them.

Ive put some photos at the bottom to show you guys what ive got to work with as far as boot space and layout goes.
Where the lower area is, thats my spare wheel so i need access to that after the custom box is built. leaving only the option of building it at the front of the boot (like the last photo)

The radio in these is a pain to remove, because these dont have a conventional setup where i would take the stock radio out, and install a new one.
Its set up so that the only way to run an aftermarket unit, is to install completely to itself, and splice into the speaker wires when they come out of their looms. I only have 2 photos from the outside but it gives an idea of what i mean

And the boot pics

Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Dylby1

Sub box first design

i have my sub boxes semi planned out.

They will be slot ported (L slot), 1.6 cu ft (largest factory recommended size, should suit what i want out of it)

The largest i can go while keeping spare access (unless i go for a single sub instead of dual subs) is just under 2 cu ft

I will be building it as 2 seperate, identical boxes, so that they are easier to install

Tuned to: 35 Hz
Height: 14.5"
Depth: 15.5"
Width: 21.5"

Port Length One: 12.75"
Port Length Two: 14"
Port width: 2"
Port height: 13"

Old 04-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Dylby1

Going to go a sealed box design instead of ported

each Box size will be approx 50L (1.77 cu ft) after displacement of the sub and box bracing.

I had a mate do some computer models of sealed and ported boxes and the sealed boxes were miles better for what i want.

So dimensions are (rounded off, they were figured out in metric but posted them in imperial here for you guys)

14.2 inch high
19.3 inch wide
15 inch deep

Last edited by Dylby1; 04-08-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Plans changed heaps