CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 08-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
eriktunder

eriktunder is on a distinguished road

og needs some schoolling of the new generation of amps

im just returning to the car audio world and what once was good is garbage now, ie ppi, soundstream, etc,etc. I have two hx2 fosgate punches and need an afforadable amp. roughly around 400 true watts rms in 4 ohm, but will be running in 2 ohm. oh my subs are dvc
eriktunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktunder View Post
im just returning to the car audio world and what once was good is garbage now, ie ppi, soundstream, etc,etc. I have two hx2 fosgate punches and need an afforadable amp. roughly around 400 true watts rms in 4 ohm, but will be running in 2 ohm. oh my subs are dvc
Moved your post to a section where someone other than spambots will see it .

PPI and Soundstream were old school great products- they were bought by Power Acoustik and went to crap, but ironically are on the comeback trail in the form of solid entry level bang per buck amplifiers.

The subs are DVC 4 ohm? If so, a mono amp with a 1 ohm final load would be a good fit. Budget for amp?
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

This is a solid budget choice with more clean power on-tap than you require:

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...amplifier.html
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Rf still makes decent amps. As mentioned PPI & Soundstream have made a comeback. The ST series from Zapco is pretty good and not too pricey.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

run them at 1 ohm. youll get more power for your buck

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-amplif...amplifier.html
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #6
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earthquake-S...AAAMXQVERS2WW5
great amp for 2 ohm operation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-MRV-M...gAAOSwVJRZei19
5-600wrms @ 2 ohm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-PO...cAAOSwEjFXdiVh
600 @ 2 ohm. 1k @ 1 ohm
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Constantine90

Constantine90 has a spectacular aura aboutConstantine90 has a spectacular aura about

I'm totally envious of your subs.
The black cone H series was the last run of RF subs I liked.
I had a set of the 10's and they were awesome.
They still work but current owner won't sell them back to me
Constantine90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine90 View Post
I'm totally envious of your subs.
The black cone H series was the last run of RF subs I liked.
I had a set of the 10's and they were awesome.
They still work but current owner won't sell them back to me
Amazing to think RF really hasn't made a worthwhile sub in ~15-20 years.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Constantine90

Constantine90 has a spectacular aura aboutConstantine90 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Amazing to think RF really hasn't made a worthwhile sub in ~15-20 years.
In my opinion they haven't.
Here is the Crutchfield page for the Power HX2, their current subs just can't compete with them imo.
Albeit, on today's market this old man isn't really anything special.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iZpaOD...2-RFR3112.html

Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine90 View Post
In my opinion they haven't.
Here is the Crutchfield page for the Power HX2, their current subs just can't compete with them imo.
Albeit, on today's market this old man isn't really anything special.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iZpaOD...2-RFR3112.html
I think anybody in the know would agree since the H series it's been downhill for RF in the world of subs. TBH, I wasn't impressed with RF subs prior to the H series.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #11
Constantine90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
I think anybody in the know would agree since the H series it's been downhill for RF in the world of subs. TBH, I wasn't impressed with RF subs prior to the H series.
I have to agree.
I was a MA Audio fan.
I'm still disappointed that they flopped.

I ran a set of Type R Alpines for ab 6 years.
When I decided to try something new, alot had changed.
It was changing when I bought the Alpine which is why I chose them tbh.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
V8toilet

V8toilet will become famous soon enough

Class D amplifiers are all the rage now because they are small and powerful and run cool with little draw from your electrical system. I have discovered, not surprisingly, that you get what you pay for. I have the NVX mini amplifiers in both 4-channel and mono and they produce radio frequencies that interfere with my pioneers radio reception to the point that I can't get stations I did before. I do not have this problem with my other class D amplifiers such as my pioneer PRS series, Alpines power pack, or Alpine mono sub Amplifiers. I still have a few old school class AB amplifiers that I'm using that sound great.
V8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
Class D amplifiers are all the rage now because they are small and powerful and run cool with little draw from your electrical system. I have discovered, not surprisingly, that you get what you pay for. I have the NVX mini amplifiers in both 4-channel and mono and they produce radio frequencies that interfere with my pioneers radio reception to the point that I can't get stations I did before. I do not have this problem with my other class D amplifiers such as my pioneer PRS series, Alpines power pack, or Alpine mono sub Amplifiers. I still have a few old school class AB amplifiers that I'm using that sound great.
That's more of just a crap amp design. Class D has been around forever without causing radio interference. I've been suspect of the smaller cheap class D amps (ie PPI Ions, current generation of Soundstream Stealths, etc).