PDA

View Full Version : Most recent list of good and bad car audio brands

SPL BRONCO II
01-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Note: This list was already existant, I just updated it and moved some brands around. If anything looks weird or out of place i may have overlooked it.

We've broken this section into 4 categories:
1: Bad
2: Questionable
3: Good
4: Highest quality

Bad

Absolute
American HiFi (Rockwood)
American Pro
Audiovox
Automobile
Becker
Blackmore
Boschmann
Boss
Craig
DHD
Dual
Emerson
JDL
Jensen
Kenford
Kole
Kraco
Kronik
Legacy
MA Audio
Optimus (Radio Shack)
Pheonix Digital
Planet Audio (Boss, by any other name)
Power Acoustik
Pyle
Pyramid
Rockwood
Seicane
Sound Storm
Sparkomatic
SPL Audio
Stetsom
Thump
Ultimate Sounds
Urban Audio
US Amps- the newer stuff
Visonik
Volfenhag

Questionable

Alphasonik
Autotek
Audiobahn
Audiopipe
Blaupunkt
Aiwa
Crunch
Elemental Designs (eD)
Hifonics
Hollywood
Kenwood (amplifiers)
Lanzar
LA Sound
Lightning Audio
Matsui
MB Quart
Nakamichi (newer products)
NVX Audio
Onyx Mobile Audio
Panasonic
Phoenix Gold (ask on specific models)
Pioneer (amplifiers and speakers)
Precision Power (PPI) (newer non-US made amplifiers)
RE Audio- newer stuff
Rockford Fosgate (lower series products)
SAS Bazooka (all products)
Sony Xplod
Vibe

Good

Alpine (amplifiers, Type-R speakers and subs)
Altec Lansing
Alumapro
Ample Audio
Ascendant
Audio Development
Avionixx
Boston Acoustics
Cadence
Cerwin Vega (subs)
Clarion (head units)
Clifford (alarms)
Cliff designs
Coustic
Crescendo Audio
Crossfire
Crystal
DC Audio
Directed (DEI)
Dynamat
Earthquake
Eaton
Ground Zero
Helix (lower series of products)
Hushmat
Illusion
Incriminater Audio
Infinity
JBL (amplifiers)
JVC Digifine
Kenwood Excelon (HU)
Kicker
Kinetik (batteries)
Lunar
Massive Audio
Memphis Audio
MTX (amplifiers)
Orion (newer products)
Phoenix Gold (some models)
Pioneer- HU's
Polk Audio
Powerbass
Rockford Fosgate (Power Series amp and subs)
Second Skin (deadner)
Skar Audio (owner/company seems to be very shadey/unethical)
Soundstream
SSA Audio
Stereo Integrity
USAcoustics
Viper/DEI (alarms)

Highest Quality

a/d/s
Adire
Alpine (head units, signal processors)
Arc Audio
Audax
Audio Control
Audison
Brax
Butler Audio
CD Technologies (CDT)
Diamond Audio (HEX)
Digital Designs (DD)
DLS
DynAudio
Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten)
Esoteric Audio
FI Audio
Focal
Gladen
Harrison Labs
Helix (Higher series of products)
Hertz
Hybrid Audio
Image Dynamics (ID)
JL Audio (W6v2, W6v3, W7. ZR components,Slash and HD series amps)
KEF Kar components
Kove
Luxman
McIntosh Laboratories
MMATS
Morel
Mosconi
Nakamichi (Older products)
Ohio Alternator
Orion (older products)
OZ Audio
Pioneer Premiere (head units)
Precision Power (PPI) (Older PowerClass and Art series)
Rainbow
Resonant Engineering (RE) Older Stuff
Rockford Fosgate (older 1980s and 1990s models)
Sinfoni
Streetwirez
Stinger
Sundown Audio
Treo
Tru tech
US Amps (older amps)
Wet Sounds
Wrangler Alternators
XS Power (batteries)
Xtant
Zapco
Zed Audio
*Funky PuP :)

dulas
01-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Hey great list...

Im loving "Kenford"....Kenwood and rockwood combined = Crap

ainaarix
01-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Where is Vibe? One of the biggest in European market.
I think they are Questionable. Several series could be good.
Hertz, Orion, and DLS....... You think all models are highly recommended?

Jimi77
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I'd say JBL belongs in the highly recommended section. Many of their subs offer some of the best bang for buck, all their amps are rock solid and their comps if good if you like aggressive sounding speakers.

SPL BRONCO II
01-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Where is Vibe? One of the biggest in European market.
I think they are Questionable. Several series could be good.
Hertz, Orion, and DLS....... You think all models are highly recommended?
Added Vibe under questionable.
I changed the category name from highly recommended to highest quality.
I'd say JBL belongs in the highly recommended section. Many of their subs offer some of the best bang for buck, all their amps are rock solid and their comps if good if you like aggressive sounding speakers.
Agreed on JBL. The previous owner of the list had the list as "highly recommended" in which you would be correct JBL should have been on there but I changed the category name since we are basing each list on quality level only.

only126db
01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Added Vibe under questionable.
I changed the category name from highly recommended to highest quality.

Agreed on JBL. The previous owner of the list had the list as "highly recommended" in which you would be correct JBL should have been on there but I changed the category name since we are basing each list on quality level only.

you may want to state that the brands are organized based on full line performance regaurding their build quality, reliability and sound quality combined.

Duct Tape
01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
stickied and added some formatting to the headings to make it easier to read.

Duct Tape
01-16-2012, 02:12 PM
i've unstuck the thread per Hank's request; to promote discussion before the list gets stickied.

GM4WALLS
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
There are some brands on the list that are no longer around... realistically if someone is looking for those products, they already know what they are.

Lightning Audio is great for wire and cabling, sucks for anything else... Orions HCCA line is still very good, Memphis, Lunar, JBL should be higher, Earthquake should be lower, that would be my only reccomendations.

GM4WALLS
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Massive Audio isn't on the list either... Their products should be reviewed... I will post a review of some Massive comps later, maybe someone that is using or has used their subs and amps could chime in.

only126db
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
i've unstuck the thread per Hank's request; to promote discussion before the list gets stickied.

I thought your job was only to deal with spam???

Adcom
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Where's Sinfoni Hank? :rolleyes:

Duct Tape
01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I thought your job was only to deal with spam???

you are right, i should delete your post and ban you.

denim
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
SSA and Ascendant? ;)

SPL BRONCO II
01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Where's Sinfoni Hank? :rolleyes:

That was on the high quality list from the original poster. :rolleyes:

SPL BRONCO II
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
SSA and Ascendant? ;)

added ....

JD619
01-16-2012, 11:59 PM
what about rockwood

JD619
01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
or magestic

SPL BRONCO II
01-17-2012, 12:08 AM
what about rockwood
Added
or magestic
Havent seen or heard of them in forever, are they even still around?

JD619
01-17-2012, 12:20 AM
This kid across the street showed me an old rockwood he found in his garage.The thing was huge like almost 2 feet long. Good thing he knew it was crap. It brought me back to the early 90's swapmeet deals. I live In San Diego and in the 90's there was 1000's of places selling all kinds of sh*t you never heard of.

denim
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
added ....

Only good? :(

ChuckCAF
01-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Thanks SPL BRONCO II for the info.
About every 10 years I build a new stereo, and alot has changed in 10 years. Alpine(IDA-X series and KTX-H100 Kit), Focal(comp. speakers), That hasn't changed much. Who makes good amps (audiophile, not db contest)?

Thanks, Chuck

ricksi30
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Agreed, SSA and Ascendant are EASILY in the excellent category. The list is also missing Audioque, Obsidian, Sound Deadener Showdown, Crescendo, Stetsom, Incriminator, DC, Skar, and in my opinion CDT would be "good" at best after shipping off to China. Just my .02 thmbup

SPL BRONCO II
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM

I know they are very good buys for the money, so from a value standpoint they are excellent but was not sure as far as quality if they would qualify for the highest end category. Lets see what others here have to say about what category would be most accurate for them.

SPL BRONCO II
01-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Agreed, SSA and Ascendant are EASILY in the excellent category. The list is also missing Audioque, Obsidian, Sound Deadener Showdown, Crescendo, Stetsom, Incriminator, DC, Skar, and in my opinion CDT would be "good" at best after shipping off to China. Just my .02 thmbup

Will add, let me get some feedback from other members here to see what categories these brands should fall under to be most accurate. Thanks for the heads up on them.

ricksi30
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Will add, let me get some feedback from other members here to see what categories these brands should fall under to be most accurate. Thanks for the heads up on them.

Sounds good I know that you can't make a list that everyone will agree with. Just an fyi (If you didn't already know) SSA and Ascendant are both built in the same facility as Fi and they are both 100% USA built. I've run every series of SSA subs and they get a grade of highest quality from me.

The
01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
GREAT JOB LEAVING SOUNDPLINTER OFF THE LIST!!!!! HIGHEST QUALITY 4 sure

The
01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
there is a company that makes awesome expensive amps...high powered starts with an "S"..damn what is it?!

The
01-22-2012, 01:43 AM
best sub on the planet http://www.soundsplinter.com/images/rls15-back.jpg

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 01:46 AM
there is a company that makes awesome expensive amps...high powered starts with an "S"..damn what is it?!

Sundown? Stetsom?

GREAT JOB LEAVING SOUNDPLINTER OFF THE LIST!!!!! HIGHEST QUALITY 4 sure

Soundsplinter is no longer in business.

The
01-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Sundown? Stetsom?

Soundsplinter is no longer in business.

so what either is eclipse and they are listed
yes, stetsom

SP website is still up, are you sure?????

The
01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
critical mass subs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzTnJ_fx2w&feature=related

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 01:49 AM
so what either is eclipse and they are listed
yes, stetsom

SP website is still up, are you sure?????

I am positive.

The
01-22-2012, 01:52 AM
I am positive.

i am ordering one just to see...

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 01:57 AM
i am ordering one just to see...

Haha okay you do that. They might still have a small amount of stock left but sadly they are through aside from what they have left.

The
01-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Haha okay you do that. They might still have a small amount of stock left but sadly they are through aside from what they have left.

I just read that it was because their OEM went under and now they are restructuring and will be back.

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Straight from Mike http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/52331-this-ship-has-sailed/

The
01-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Straight from Mike http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/52331-this-ship-has-sailed/

that sucks.....going to go relieve the stress via masturbation

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 02:05 AM
that sucks.....going to go relieve the stress via masturbation

:confused:

The
01-22-2012, 02:06 AM

are those $89 drivers still around?

The
01-22-2012, 02:06 AM

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Last I talked to him he had a few ~ 10

The
01-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Last I talked to him he had a few ~ 10

tell him i will buy 3 for 150

ricksi30
01-22-2012, 02:10 AM
tell him i will buy 3 for 150

His bottom dollar is 89+ shipping and at that they are a steal.

The
01-22-2012, 02:26 AM
His bottom dollar is 89+ shipping and at that they are a steal.

meh, i will pass at that price

denim
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I know they are very good buys for the money, so from a value standpoint they are excellent but was not sure as far as quality if they would qualify for the highest end category. Lets see what others here have to say about what category would be most accurate for them.

Was basing it off seeing Sundown in the Excellent.

GM4WALLS
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I personally would rate the SSA subs as excellent... I have heard the DCON, ICON, and XCON series of subs and cannot say enough good about them!

ricksi30
01-24-2012, 02:32 AM
I personally would rate the SSA subs as excellent... I have heard the DCON, ICON, and XCON series of subs and cannot say enough good about them!

I have owned DCON's, ICON's, XCON's, and a ZCON and everyone of them impressed me.

MagicBus
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Where would audioque amps fall in here?

FutureFuzz 26
01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Sound digital? where does that go?

AlainD
01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
SSA FTW !
They make excellent subs. Not the loudest but very clean sounding. You don't need to listen to rap songs only to love them !!!

Alex0825
01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Is there an update to this list? I know there are a few companies that have come into play and that are talked about on this forum that arent listed......

SPL BRONCO II
01-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Is there an update to this list? I know there are a few companies that have come into play and that are talked about on this forum that arent listed......

What brands are those?

dantheman553
01-24-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm just surprised Sony Xplod made it to the "questionable" category.

jrouter76
01-24-2014, 05:46 PM
What brands are those?Hey SPL BRONCOII when will you make a change or update your list? surely SSA dose not belong on the BAD list...And where is Stereo Integrity ? I believe that SSA and SI belongs on the Highest Quality List:D

SPL BRONCO II
01-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm just surprised Sony Xplod made it to the "questionable" category.

Where would you place it?

dantheman553
01-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Where would you place it?

I have had 1 or 2 head xplod HUs that may have been questionable, but the few pairs of xplod speakers I've had were not questionable at all. Bottom of the barrel crap. I thought that sony was the bees knees when I got my first couple pairs but quickly found out that they weren't really good...

I guess that's just my opinion though. I tried to use a pair for my front stage a long time ago and it was a disaster.

SPL BRONCO II
01-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Hey SPL BRONCOII when will you make a change or update your list? surely SSA dose not belong on the BAD list...And where is Stereo Integrity ? I believe that SSA and SI belongs on the Highest Quality List:D

I did not make the original list, I just took it and updated it a while back. Those 2 brand are now correctly listed.

Waldodamon
01-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Can this be stickied? I think it would be a good idea for newcomers to have this to browse in the sticky section...

You forgot Crescendo Audio (at least for amplifiers anyway). Just a heads up. :)

Nice alphabetical list too. I would have never known this post existed had you not bumped it today with the updates. Again, in my opinion, this would be a great sticky!!!

jrouter76
01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I did not make the original list, I just took it and updated it a while back. Those 2 brand are now correctly listed.
Thank you sir and I did not know that you were not the List creator.

SPL BRONCO II
01-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Can this be stickied? I think it would be a good idea for newcomers to have this to browse in the sticky section...

You forgot Crescendo Audio (at least for amplifiers anyway). Just a heads up. :)

Nice alphabetical list too. I would have never known this post existed had you not bumped it today with the updates. Again, in my opinion, this would be a great sticky!!!

... Added

GM4WALLS
01-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Therr are so many brands on this list that have either completely fallen off or basically don't exist anymore. I think it is time for a real update.

mikel7829
01-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Therr are so many brands on this list that have either completely fallen off or basically don't exist anymore. I think it is time for a real update.

update and sticky!

thmbup

denim
01-27-2014, 03:50 PM
I still vote SSA for highest quality. ;)

dantheman553
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I'd say polk audio should be on highest quality as well. Their amps are ridiculous (Pricey, but WELL worth it). compact, clean, very powerful. Speakers are great bang for your buck too.

denim
01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
I'd say polk audio should be on highest quality as well. Their amps are ridiculous (Pricey, but WELL worth it). compact, clean, very powerful. Speakers are great bang for your buck too.

Before the directed buy out, I would agree, but since then I would keep them in the good area, and that is coming from a long time Polk fan who is local to their HQ.

rizzowned
04-08-2014, 10:07 PM
I am in the market for a new head unit, double Din. I stumbled across the Clarion NX404 the features of which I really like. A stereo installer (artist, actually!) that I have known for a while told me they went out of business like a year ago and got bought out by a company that makes shoddy products. He is pushing me toward Kenwood Excelon. I have always been partial to Clarion for whatever reason, and I have not found any information online regarding Clarion being bankrupt/bought out by anyone. Is there any truth to this?

basicxj
04-09-2014, 01:47 AM
I am in the market for a new head unit, double Din. I stumbled across the Clarion NX404 the features of which I really like. A stereo installer (artist, actually!) that I have known for a while told me they went out of business like a year ago and got bought out by a company that makes shoddy products. He is pushing me toward Kenwood Excelon. I have always been partial to Clarion for whatever reason, and I have not found any information online regarding Clarion being bankrupt/bought out by anyone. Is there any truth to this?

Clarion doesn't seem to offer the top tier products they once did, but for budget friendly entry level gear they are still decent compared to "off brands".

If you don't want to pay for Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, then you should definitely consider lower priced units from Clarion and JVC- they are a little more more affordable than the top three brands, and you don't have to stoop to buying junk.

rizzowned
04-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Thanks!!!!!

MakkMar10
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Hows bout SoundQubed (AudioQue)? High quality, great for Budget Builds....

CarAudioNub
05-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Adcom isn't on the list... I'm curious to hear about their amps since I just bought one for dirt cheap :bun:

mikel7829
05-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Adcom isn't on the list... I'm curious to hear about their amps since I just bought one for dirt cheap :bun:

PM Adcom he will tell you all about itthmbup

audiohead
05-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Americn bass, atomic thunder, audiomobile,, swiss audio, phase linear, performance technique, oxygen,sherwood,reactor, fusion,bazooka
Mostly defunct but my contribution
Us amps really that bad now? Used to be among the elite

FutureFuzz 26
05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Americn bass, atomic thunder, audiomobile,, swiss audio, phase linear, performance technique, oxygen,sherwood,reactor, fusion,bazooka
Mostly defunct but my contribution
Us amps really that bad now? Used to be among the elite

wasnt it US Amps that trashed the RE name after buying it out from whats now FI, or is that someone else?

Windrider
07-15-2014, 02:26 AM
Are the Precision Power head units any good? I'm considering buying one but can't seem to find any reviews on them...

basicxj
07-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Are the Precision Power head units any good? I'm considering buying one but can't seem to find any reviews on them...

PPI and Soundstream head units are re-badged Farenheit units (and that isn't a good thing). Cheap Chinese junk.

http://www.precisionpower.com/html-version/products/video/ingenix.html

http://www.farenheitusa.com/fr2011/source-units.html

Windrider
07-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks. I'm terrible with this kind of stuff. I will just go with a nice Pioneer HU instead.

basicxj
07-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Thanks. I'm terrible with this kind of stuff. I will just go with a nice Pioneer HU instead.

Good idea thmbup.

15scutthru
08-28-2014, 04:07 AM
Where is DC Audio?

basicxj
08-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Where is DC Audio?

That should be in the "Good" or "Highest Quality" category. The list is by no means complete.

Hank- insert DC Audio?

TheRealSystek
09-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Is there a list of the latest reputable online retailers?

denim
09-12-2014, 12:29 PM

I know one good choice. thmbup

Platemail
09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I know one good choice. thmbup

thmbupthmbupthmbup

SPL BRONCO II
09-12-2014, 01:12 PM
That should be in the "Good" or "Highest Quality" category. The list is by no means complete.

Hank- insert DC Audio?

Done.... :)

Also added Boschmann to the bad list.

SPL BRONCO II
09-12-2014, 01:13 PM

Crutchfield.com
Woofersetc.com
Partsexpress.com
Sonicelectronics.com

basicxj
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Done.... :)

Also added Boschmann to the bad list.

thmbup thmbup

evynmichael
09-16-2014, 06:23 AM
what about pioneers new reference series? 1500$ for the hu and similar prices for the rest?

evynmichael
09-16-2014, 06:26 AM
and what about hybrid audio technology

basicxj
09-16-2014, 01:27 PM
what about pioneers new reference series? 1500$ for the hu and similar prices for the rest?

Not familiar with them- may take some time for them to trickle down to the average user.

and what about hybrid audio technology

They would fall under "highest quality".

SPL BRONCO II
09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Not familiar with them- may take some time for them to trickle down to the average user.

They would fall under "highest quality".

Hybrid added...

percy072
09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Ground Zero, PHD...:]

SPL BRONCO II
09-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Mosconi and Gladen have been added.

GM4WALLS
09-27-2014, 11:38 PM
How exactly does SSA rank as "Good" and Sundown rank as "Highest" quality. Seriously those should be flip flopped. Sundown may be respected, but it is Made in China. SSA has stellar performance and is
Made in the USA. Incriminator is another that is not on the list.

sherwind2010
09-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Where is Diablo Audio Technologies?

basicxj
09-28-2014, 03:43 AM
Where is Diablo Audio Technologies?

Never heard of it :o.

sherwind2010
09-28-2014, 03:51 AM
What about PSi Car Audio. AKA FixMySpeaker. Good Prices.

PS: Come on Diablo Audio Technologies?

basicxj
09-28-2014, 03:55 AM
What about PSi Car Audio. AKA FixMySpeaker. Good Prices.

PS: Come on Diablo Audio Technologies?

Maybe I've led a sheltered life, but in 30+ years in this hobby haven't heard of Diablo Audio Technologies or PSi.

Links?

basicxj
09-28-2014, 03:57 AM
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/89703-diablo-audio-technologies-is-closing-the-doors/

Nevermind.

sherwind2010
09-28-2014, 04:11 AM
PSi Car Audio, Custom Subwoofers, Colored everything, cone, baskets & even spiders.

http://psicaraudio.com/products-page/platform-3-subwoofers/18%E2%80%B3-platform-3-subwoofer-2/

basicxj
09-28-2014, 04:14 AM
PSi Car Audio, Custom Subwoofers, Colored everything, cone, baskets & even spiders.

http://psicaraudio.com/products-page/platform-3-subwoofers/18%E2%80%B3-platform-3-subwoofer-2/

Had a look via "the Google"...never heard of them either, though the products appear to be well put together.

SPL BRONCO II
09-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Where would you guys suggest skar audio be placed? The product seems to be good but the owner and his business ethics seem to be extremely shady to borderline criminal.

basicxj
09-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Where would you guys suggest skar audio be placed? The product seems to be good but the owner and his business ethics seem to be extremely shady to borderline criminal.

Good, with an asterisk and comment about customer service?

GM4WALLS
09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Good, with an asterisk and comment about customer service?

Being honest, Skar has taken over the jacksonville Florida car audio market, and the retailers I have talked to have stated that they have had zero issues with exchanging faulty products, and the faulty products have been virtually non extinct.

basicxj
09-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Being honest, Skar has taken over the jacksonville Florida car audio market, and the retailers I have talked to have stated that they have had zero issues with exchanging faulty products, and the faulty products have been virtually non extinct.

Well that would be a good thing |[.

GM4WALLS
09-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Well that would be a good thing |[.

Yeah, and they don't sound bad either. :cool:

SPL BRONCO II
09-29-2014, 12:53 AM
Yeah, and they don't sound bad either. :cool:

So remove the shady disclaimer next to the Skar brand on the list? I think you were one of the ones that was anti Skar when people were asking about them a while back.

britishcolumbia
10-22-2014, 04:42 PM
What about Focal? im surprised that nobody has suggested them. Just ordered 2 new focal subs very excited!

SPL BRONCO II
10-23-2014, 03:47 PM
What about Focal? im surprised that nobody has suggested them. Just ordered 2 new focal subs very excited!

Focal is already on the highest quality list. :rolleyes:

basicxj
11-13-2014, 12:15 AM
Why is Stetsom listed under "bad" ? :confused:

denim
11-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Why is Stetsom listed under "bad" ? :confused:

Might have something to do with quality control or how sensitive the amplifiers are to voltage fluctuations.

GM4WALLS
11-13-2014, 08:33 PM
So remove the shady disclaimer next to the Skar brand on the list? I think you were one of the ones that was anti Skar when people were asking about them a while back.

I was and am anti Skar, but I report what is reported to me by people I trust. And I am fairly sure the only complaint anyone ever had was the quality control and ownership, not the products build or sound.

basicxj
11-14-2014, 04:53 AM
Hey, guys! I'm getting ready to outfit my old BMW, but that's for another post... I am totally new to the "quality" audio scene, and I actually found this post when I started researching different brands, and have been using it as a guide ever since.

That being said, I'm going to make a bold assumption that the a/d/s speakers referred to in the list are in fact NOT the same as those made by Guangzhou ADS Audio Science Technology. I base that assumption on the fact that most of the a/d/s speakers I've read about are from the '80s and '90s, and this company was established in 1997 in Guangzhou China (according to the website which I won't include with my first post so I don't get tagged as a spammer. I found them by Googling "ads speakers"). I'm also going to assume that the 80s/90s a/d/s speakers are made in the USA, not China. But the logo is identical, down to the 3 square dots.

The site looks like it was built by pros this year, then handed over to a 16 year old in 1995. The site its self is really well put together. But then there's this floating "Happy Anniversary" thing bouncing all around and blinking little "NEW" gifs next to every item.

Strange thing is they actually look like decent speakers. Some of the models have a pretty stout looking cast basket, though a lot of them are stamped. Most have decent looking cones and surrounds, as well as strong looking spiders. The tinsel leads, terminals, and spiders look like the ones on higher end speakers like Sundown Audio's. Though I know it is easier to fake quality than to build quality. I also am really not experience enough to say anything more than "looks like..."

Even stranger is they aren't sold anywhere. It may even be a fake site, I don't know. There's no order form, no "authorized distributors" link, nothing like that. And searching model numbers returns zilch. I've considered emailing them.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring that up since it may be relevant, and may belong at one end of the list or another, even for clarification for total noobs like me.

IN ANY CASE....Thanks for the list! It's helped me more than you can possibly imagine!

No, old-school a/d/s goodness was not Chinese, but European quality-made speakers.

Chinese companies have a history of buying once proud name brands to market their products under, and I have yet to see of any of these revived brands being any good as they resurface.

benahn7
11-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Most of my experience is in SPL competition where I have done quite well. Several world finals under my belt and I get to see what all of the best competitors use in their vehicles. DC audio has been THE sub for quite a few seasons now. There are several reasons, one they put up the big numbers, two they are hard as hell to break, three they sound good in daily drivers.
Next look at the line of amps used by the best competitors with the same characteristics. American Bass there is a reason these two brands are the most dominant in the USA competitions and it is not based on someone’s opinion. The proof is in the number of top competitors that strive for that top score. Competitions weed out the under performers pretty fast. Cactus sounds is one of the best overseas for competition use.
I like the list idea I think it can be a real plus for a person new in car audio looking to spend that money so I wanted to mention two of the most dependable companies in the business.

benahn7
11-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Might have something to do with quality control or how sensitive the amplifiers are to voltage fluctuations.

You hit that one dead on. thmbup

pfg2.0
01-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Wall of funky pups FTW!!!!

tim harris
04-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I've had a Legacy 4x125 watt amp in my chevy van for 12 yrs with no problems at all. sound great, pushes 4 10" orion subs (same age as amp) with authority. planet audio in my 29' rv. 500 watt mono on a svc 15" sub, 4x50 amp on 6.5 2 ways(4). sounds great some brands are garbage, some are ok.

SPL BRONCO II
04-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I've had a Legacy 4x125 watt amp in my chevy van for 12 yrs with no problems at all. sound great, pushes 4 10" orion subs (same age as amp) with authority. planet audio in my 29' rv. 500 watt mono on a svc 15" sub, 4x50 amp on 6.5 2 ways(4). sounds great some brands are garbage, some are ok.

Then maybe we should move Legacy to the high end quality category.

basicxj
04-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Then maybe we should move Legacy to the high end quality category.

It might be best to wait for the wave of stunning endorsements to come in first ;). :bun:

MOSFET
04-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Bronco, that is a TOUGH job as everyone and their brother who owns gear and doesn't see their brand on "highest" is going to be put-out and complain. I think there were would be FAR less contention and complaints if you made a list of best religions and best political parties. Seriously.

Although I am SO reluctant to critique anything, I did notice that MTX subs are nowhere on the list. The ONLY reason I bring this up (obviously you will NEVER be able to list EVERY brand and every product line) is it seems there are a lot of MTX subs sold in the US and it might avoid a certain amount of questions in the forums.

Thank you for all your hard work keeping this up to date. You rock!!!

MOSFET

Mordrid1
04-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Bronco, that is a TOUGH job as everyone and their brother who owns gear and doesn't see their brand on "highest" is going to be put-out and complain. I think there were would be FAR less contention and complaints if you made a list of best religions and best political parties. Seriously.

Although I am SO reluctant to critique anything, I did notice that MTX subs are nowhere on the list. The ONLY reason I bring this up (obviously you will NEVER be able to list EVERY brand and every product line) is it seems there are a lot of MTX subs sold in the US and it might avoid a certain amount of questions in the forums.

Thank you for all your hard work keeping this up to date. You rock!!!

MOSFET

MTX has the same image problem as RF and Kicker, because they are so mainstream, and they "whore" out their entry level gear. And while all 3 brands have some decent entry level gear, you can usually find better performing gear for a similar or lower price. But because of brand recognition these 3 brands are able to live on a reputation that was created years ago.

When it comes to these 3 brand's "higher" lines, the same can be said. You are paying more for brand recognition than you are for the performance factor. Generally speaking, when talking about each of these brand's "Top of the line" gear, you can now find gear that will perform considerably better for the same or less $$$.

MTX still does make a few good pieces, but those "quality" pieces are not as prevalent across their product lines as it use to be. So MTX now has the reputation among enthusiasts as a "Walmart" brand, for lack of a better term.

GM4WALLS
04-12-2015, 11:26 PM
MTX has the same image problem as RF and Kicker, because they are so mainstream, and they "whore" out their entry level gear. And while all 3 brands have some decent entry level gear, you can usually find better performing gear for a similar or lower price. But because of brand recognition these 3 brands are able to live on a reputation that was created years ago.

When it comes to these 3 brand's "higher" lines, the same can be said. You are paying more for brand recognition than you are for the performance factor. Generally speaking, when talking about each of these brand's "Top of the line" gear, you can now find gear that will perform considerably better for the same or less $$$.

MTX still does make a few good pieces, but those "quality" pieces are not as prevalent across their product lines as it use to be. So MTX now has the reputation among enthusiasts as a "Walmart" brand, for lack of a better term.

I don't think that I am in the minority when I say that MTX is even a bit lower quality across the board then even Kicker or RF. Yes, RF has decent pieces at higher cost, and yes, Kicker makes a durable product. For me, I am not sure MTX can boast the same.

Back in the late 90's, the two most commonly replaced product lines at our shop was MTX and Kicker. Kicker due to the buyer wanting better sound, and MTX for dead products. I cannot tell you how many MTX amps we had at the shop that would no longer function.

Recently, I was helping out at a shop that started carrying RF products. We had a lot of DOA amps and for some reason a lot of comps that would not play when used with the supplied crossovers. The good thing was they would replace them fast and without question, and since then I have been told they have not had the same issues in a while.

MOSFET
04-13-2015, 01:00 AM
I really wasn't asking for a critique of MTX, good or bad. But the info IS interesting as an aside.

I was just pointing out it was not on the list, that's all. I DON'T CARE where it is on the list (I'm happy with mine, that's all I care about).

Thanks guys!
MOSFET

MOSFET
04-13-2015, 01:07 AM
Again, I'm refering to MTX subwoofers. I mean, put them in bad or questionable...cool. I was just pointing out they sell a lot and folks may wonder about the general quality of them. I have never sold MTX subs and the only company I have worked for that made subs was Phoenix Gold.

I certainly think those who have sold MTX subs like GM4Walls are in the best positition to judge quality.

M

SPL BRONCO II
04-13-2015, 01:51 PM
I dont even know when the last time someone brought me a MTX sub or amp for install, they seem to have just died off fast in the last few years.

15scutthru
04-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Quantum Audio? I'd heard of the brand before but never saw anyone running their equipment. A guy was talking about some of his equipment he has of theirs so I was just wondering what kind of reputation they have?

Mordrid1
04-15-2015, 05:54 PM
I dont even know when the last time someone brought me a MTX sub or amp for install, they seem to have just died off fast in the last few years.

Lucky you !

I still get people bringing me the "Terminator" bass package, and then complain because it does not hit as hard as their friend's setup.

jackarmando
04-28-2015, 12:24 AM
what about Ground Zero ?

Good is what i think,
where will it get rated in this list :)

djoe25
05-05-2015, 06:51 AM
that list is quality.
car servicing (http://iamaspammer.uk/)

HDanielH
05-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Only memphis mojo series should be in a good list. The rest is pretty much flea market junk at best.

MOSFET
05-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Not true. Memphis has been building GREAT amplifier for years. Their Memphis Belle amp is a classic along with the 16-MC1000D and WAY too many to mention.

I would LOVE to have an all Memphis amp system if I could afford it.

As we often say around here, even the best brands will make a real crapper now and again and even the worst will produce a diamond in the rough sometimes. The guys who compile this list are looking at the aggregate of a given company, and taken as a whole, Memphis does indeed make darn good stuff.

MOSFET

HDanielH
05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
I have a shop near me that pushes memphis. I replaced 2 memphis amps in my current car with rockford fosgate and the differance was HUGE. the memphis amp i had hissed like a rabbid cat. I did not move or change a single wire and the RF one I hooked up in it's place is silent at low volume and way better turned up. both were 400.4 amps. memphis referance 400.4 to RF t400.4 best choice I made for SQ in my car. that hiss on tweets ruins the rest so easy. the other amp I had that was memphis was a referance 1000.1 that I traded for a RF t1500.1 and the rumble disappeared. It curretly is still sitting on a table in my garage, same thing there. no wires changed. just the amp. I never liked their speaker sound either and I had mojo series. I gave those away to a kid I work with.

It is possible that i just had bad luck there but I've heard a couple memphis system besides mine at that shop. I frequent there a lot. memphis is just junk imho based on my personal experience of what I owned.

GM4WALLS
05-25-2015, 07:11 PM
I have a shop near me that pushes memphis. I replaced 2 memphis amps in my current car with rockford fosgate and the differance was HUGE. the memphis amp i had hissed like a rabbid cat. I did not move or change a single wire and the RF one I hooked up in it's place is silent at low volume and way better turned up. both were 400.4 amps. memphis referance 400.4 to RF t400.4 best choice I made for SQ in my car. that hiss on tweets ruins the rest so easy. the other amp I had that was memphis was a referance 1000.1 that I traded for a RF t1500.1 and the rumble disappeared. It curretly is still sitting on a table in my garage, same thing there. no wires changed. just the amp. I never liked their speaker sound either and I had mojo series. I gave those away to a kid I work with.

It is possible that i just had bad luck there but I've heard a couple memphis system besides mine at that shop. I frequent there a lot. memphis is just junk imho based on my personal experience of what I owned.

As a past dealer of both those brands, I will tell you that you have the exact opposite findings of the majority of my customers and friends.

rlowride
05-27-2015, 10:54 PM
where does American Bass fit in here?

Mordrid1
05-27-2015, 11:52 PM

I would have to agree with GM on this one. All of the Memphis amps I have dealt with have been solid. If you had a hiss in your tweeters my guess would be that you had a faulty or blown input stage, or even had the gais too high. It could have been damaged on the install.

The RF T series(power series) amps are not bad, but they are IMO overpriced for what they are. The "constant power" trademark rf has on them has been shown to be a gimmick in several tests. So why pay $799 for a 1500 rms amp without a regulated power supply, when you can get that same power from other brands with similar build quality and performance for $300-$400.

Mordrid1
05-28-2015, 01:05 AM
where does American Bass fit in here?

American Bass has so many different lines, but they are pretty solid throughout. On a new list of quality brands I would put them in the high mid tier with an asterisk because their top of the line stuff is very good, and would be in the uper tier if it stood alone.

Their high end stuff like the VFL line is great. A lot of competitors use them because they are overbuilt solid and reliable.

Their middle of the road amps are comparable to Soundqubed and Cresendo. Very solid amps.

Their newer entry level amps provide solid power, but not much else. Just a standard run of the mill entry level amp that makes rated power, but may be a little noisy compared to higher quality amps.

Their subs are very solid performers.

mucklestone
06-13-2015, 11:11 AM
This a great list - especially for someone who has been out the game for a while!

Do you think second ranking taking into account 'bang per buck!' would be useful for those on a budget. For example as someone else mentioned, JBL might not be in the top quality section, but they have some decent stuff and for the price would probably be in the best 'bang per buck' category!

GM4WALLS
06-13-2015, 12:19 PM
This a great list - especially for someone who has been out the game for a while!

Do you think second ranking taking into account 'bang per buck!' would be useful for those on a budget. For example as someone else mentioned, JBL might not be in the top quality section, but they have some decent stuff and for the price would probably be in the best 'bang per buck' category!

JBL is across the board a great bang per buck brand, their GTi stuff is ridiculous, and their entry level gear is very, very solid.

mariano
06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I am just curious about the list lol

BWX
06-16-2015, 01:31 PM
MTX Jackhammer 5 channel amp was a piece of garbage with garbage generic caps that went BOOM in dramatic fashion last week after owning since new - bought from Crutchfield 2012. Nothing but problems the entire time I owned it. Shutting off, overheating., STINKING my car up with burnt/hot electronics smell constantly. It went in for service several times under warranty, and always had a failure of some kind within weeks of re-installation. Only paid 300 bucks and got three years of service so .. meh. I've been installing car stereos since I was 13 yrs old in the 80's. I know what I'm doing! MTX support constantly accused me of not having a good ground.. like a broken record. I'll stop ranting now.

I took it apart and saw the "capxon" generic caps that blew, and mosfets that were actually broken and hanging off the heatsink.. Didn't take pics of that yet though. I was going to use the big shiny amp for target practice with my 12ga, and put that vid on Youtube. I'd love to see the think explode again.

pic of amp and how I had it hooked up:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PEeUv6O166Q/UP6mQNlnLTI/AAAAAAAABnw/doMUaOeRKE8/s800/IMG_6769%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Need another 5 channel amp, and I want quality this time, so I am glad I found this list! Thanks for making it and thanks for keeping it up to date.

I am wondering about Kicker amps though. I actually ordered one last Fri, a "KX800.5" and then canceled order yesterday (Mon. morning), because I read some stuff that lead me to believe that the amps are "Chinese junk", and not the high quality stuff they made in the '90s, and even early 2000's.

It was $480, so I couldn't risk it. Had to do more research. Now I see kicker on the good list. I'm a little confused by that. Wondering what is up.

-edit-
Just saw MTX amps in "good" list. LOL! Crap components designed poorly is not "good" in my book. I can take pics of the blown generic caps (and residue left by toxic smoke) in there if needed to prove that this amp is complete junk.

trdlzr87
07-09-2015, 06:40 AM
How good are Clarion subs?

basicxj
07-09-2015, 09:33 AM
How good are Clarion subs?

Mediocre. There are better to be had in most price ranges.

BWX
07-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Ended up getting:

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdr-v75

For a good deal.. Very nice 5 channel amp.

basicxj
07-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Ended up getting:

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdr-v75

For a good deal.. Very nice 5 channel amp.

Should be nice.

MTX Jackhammer 5 channel amp was a piece of garbage with garbage generic caps that went BOOM in dramatic fashion last week after owning since new - bought from Crutchfield 2012. Nothing but problems the entire time I owned it. Shutting off, overheating., STINKING my car up with burnt/hot electronics smell constantly. It went in for service several times under warranty, and always had a failure of some kind within weeks of re-installation. Only paid 300 bucks and got three years of service so .. meh. I've been installing car stereos since I was 13 yrs old in the 80's. I know what I'm doing! MTX support constantly accused me of not having a good ground.. like a broken record. I'll stop ranting now.

I took it apart and saw the "capxon" generic caps that blew, and mosfets that were actually broken and hanging off the heatsink.. Didn't take pics of that yet though. I was going to use the big shiny amp for target practice with my 12ga, and put that vid on Youtube. I'd love to see the think explode again.

pic of amp and how I had it hooked up:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PEeUv6O166Q/UP6mQNlnLTI/AAAAAAAABnw/doMUaOeRKE8/s800/IMG_6769%252520%252528Medium%252529.JPG

Need another 5 channel amp, and I want quality this time, so I am glad I found this list! Thanks for making it and thanks for keeping it up to date.

I am wondering about Kicker amps though. I actually ordered one last Fri, a "KX800.5" and then canceled order yesterday (Mon. morning), because I read some stuff that lead me to believe that the amps are "Chinese junk", and not the high quality stuff they made in the '90s, and even early 2000's.

It was $480, so I couldn't risk it. Had to do more research. Now I see kicker on the good list. I'm a little confused by that. Wondering what is up.

-edit-
Just saw MTX amps in "good" list. LOL! Crap components designed poorly is not "good" in my book. I can take pics of the blown generic caps (and residue left by toxic smoke) in there if needed to prove that this amp is complete junk.

MTX isn't what it once was, but still tends to be better than some of the super sketchy brands if you get a good one- the quality and reliability fell off some when price points plummeted in the mid to late 90's. They can certainly be made less reliable if pushed hard without a sufficient electrical system to back them up and that one can potentially pull up to 90A all by itself.

MOSFET
07-14-2015, 02:20 AM
Alpine makes a great amp. I've owned many over the years and they always perform better than most, they tend to operate more reliably (for instance cooler), and produce more power than their rated specifications.

MTX seems to be pretty hit and miss these days. That goes for their subwoofers as well as amplifiers.

sherwind2010
07-14-2015, 04:55 PM
What about the brand "Wet Sounds"?

Mordrid1
07-14-2015, 05:55 PM
What about the brand "Wet Sounds"?

They are a higher end marine audio company. They have a few all in one solutions for marine audio and have a few lines that hold up to saltwater better than a lot of other marine brands out there. And IMO where the company excels is in their HLCD tower speakers.

They are a niche company but they do very well in that niche. They are priced on the high side, but their stuff is very well built and durable.

BWX
07-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Alpine makes a great amp. I've owned many over the years and they always perform better than most, they tend to operate more reliably (for instance cooler), and produce more power than their rated specifications.

MTX seems to be pretty hit and miss these days. That goes for their subwoofers as well as amplifiers.

Should be nice.

MTX isn't what it once was, but still tends to be better than some of the super sketchy brands if you get a good one- the quality and reliability fell off some when price points plummeted in the mid to late 90's. They can certainly be made less reliable if pushed hard without a sufficient electrical system to back them up and that one can potentially pull up to 90A all by itself.

Yeah it was full of garbage generic "capxon" capacitors, and that is what failed. Several were blown (I opened it up to look after uninstalling).

It actually failed several times, it was sent back 3 times under warranty, then it popped out of warranty and that is when I gave up on it. I checked, rechecked ground. It had a good power supply connected directly to Optima YellowTop with real 4ga wire (not 8ga with really thick insulation).

I never even ran it that hard. The damned thing would overheat, and the fans wouldn't even come on because they only came on if volume was really loud- fans seemed not to be controlled by temperature ironically.

So on hot days when I was playing it on very low volume, that is when it would get really hot, and sometimes shut itself off- without fans ever turning on once! Stupid! :rolleyes:

Stupid design, and built with garbage caps. Oh, a FET was broken and hanging off heat-sink too.

This Alpine is so much nicer, and smaller, and run so much cooler. I am only using sub channel at the moment, but will fix that soon.

The MTX would run crazy hot on just sub channel though, or on just 4 channel bridged. It was just a POS really.

Who knows maybe some of their more expensive stuff is ok.. but I will never find out, because I'll never buy another MTX anything, ever.. They're just Chinese garbage as far as I am concerned. And China cam make high quality stuff too, I have a lot of very high quality things made in China- but their garbage is really garbage.

RuffCreationZ
07-20-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm a huge supporter of XS Power, Crossfire car audio, alpine, sky high car audio and JL audio. I have sold and installed them all and always have good results. And can't forget singer alternators!

sherwind2010
07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
What about the amplifier brand "West Coast Customs"?

basicxj
07-24-2015, 11:27 PM
What about the amplifier brand "West Coast Customs"?

West Coast Customs amplifiers = meh

I wouldn't buy one under normal circumstances when better options are present. One online retailer says they share internals with MB Quart amplifiers, and that hasn't been a good thing since Maxxsonics bought MB Quart ;).

Seicane
07-30-2015, 07:38 AM
About car audio brands,I know seicane is one of them.

basicxj
07-30-2015, 09:35 AM
About car audio brands,I know seicane is one of them.

Yes, a sh*tty one. You have been warned about promoting it here, have been temporarily banned, and now will be permanently banned.

MOSFET
07-31-2015, 02:17 AM
Oh great, Basicxj, I just went out and bought an all Seicane system, NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!

Actually, your terese admonishment did indeed make me curious about Seicane as you are generally decorous and demure on the forum.

M

basicxj
07-31-2015, 02:43 AM
Oh great, Basicxj, I just went out and bought an all Seicane system, NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!

Actually, your terese admonishment did indeed make me curious about Seicane as you are generally decorous and demure on the forum.

M

I added it to Hank's break down of good/bad/ugly in post #1- hope he forgives me :o.

Mr. Seicane signed up here for the express purpose of pimping his Chinese head units through the forum and has been warned and banned for spamming previously :mad:.

percy072
08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
what about Ground Zero ?

I love my Uraniums, seems to be a much more popular brand in Europe and only a hand full of dealers in North America.

http://www.groundzerousa.com/gzuc-650sq.html

Also have a set of these little Fullrange/mids coming soon...:D

http://www.groundzerousa.com/gzuf-60sq.html

DownNDirty63bug
08-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Ssa only good?

basicxj
08-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Ssa only good?

I would say that would be "really good" ;).

You can weigh in and let us know how you like yours.

denim
08-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Ssa only good?
Um, they're GGGGGGRREAT! ;)

bens03tj
09-08-2015, 12:47 PM
how about soundqubed? seem to be pretty good for the money and great for a starter system on a budget, my friend has two hds212s and they seem great, especially for the money

basicxj
09-08-2015, 04:27 PM
how about soundqubed? seem to be pretty good for the money and great for a starter system on a budget, my friend has two hds212s and they seem great, especially for the money

They are good product, especially considering the price point (great bang per buck).

ampz
10-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Why isn't bose on the list?

Mordrid1
10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Why isn't bose on the list?

Because most audio educated people understand how bose works. And in most cases it is an overpriced piece of crud

MOSFET
10-08-2015, 10:52 PM
It's a list of after-market car avdio prodvct makers. Bose is not in the after-market car avdio bvsiness.

This list was designed to help bvyers make decisions abovt after-market avdio prodvcts.

jackarmando
10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Awesome list, using it alot of times.
but how about soundqubed ?

Kennyg
10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
I need to argue with the LA Sound being in the 'bad' category. I've always found them to be a quality budget amp that makes rated power. I've had a CA400 for about a decade now. It's in the closet currently, but it's been in and out of a number of cars over the years and enver disappoints.

MOSFET
10-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Keep in mind, I think the list is merely a generalization. The worst E-bay look-a-like far East garbage can every once in a while produce a diamond in the rough, and even the best companies can produce a turd (I very recently ran into this myself with the Alpine CDA-117, a deck acknowledged BY ALPINE THEMSELVES as plagued by a high-frequency whine when the display is on). Of course, every OTHER Alpine HU I have owned has been ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

But GENERALLY, it is a good guide based on MANY things, sometimes not even related to the actual product like customer service, vendor support, and warranty lengths and inclusions.

MOSFET

Kennyg
10-20-2015, 02:35 AM
Keep in mind, I think the list is merely a generalization. The worst E-bay look-a-like far East garbage can every once in a while produce a diamond in the rough, and even the best companies can produce a turd (I very recently ran into this myself with the Alpine CDA-117, a deck acknowledged BY ALPINE THEMSELVES as plagued by a high-frequency whine when the display is on). Of course, every OTHER Alpine HU I have owned has been ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

But GENERALLY, it is a good guide based on MANY things, sometimes not even related to the actual product like customer service, vendor support, and warranty lengths and inclusions.

MOSFET

Dude, I get it. But really, bump LA Sound up 1 notch, will you? They aren't junk, not their amps at least. never auditioned or owned their speakers.

MOSFET
10-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Dude, I get it. But really, bump LA Sound up 1 notch, will you? They aren't junk, not their amps at least. never auditioned or owned their speakers.

If I could dude, for you I would, but it just ain't my call...

Kennyg
10-20-2015, 08:12 PM
If I could dude, for you I would, but it just ain't my call...

Fair enough. Who's call is it?? :)

basicxj
10-20-2015, 09:33 PM

Send Hank (SPL BRONCO II) a message, as he is the chief maintainer of his thread ;).

SPL BRONCO II
10-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Done, the CEO of LA Sound thanks you.

Kennyg
11-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Done, the CEO of LA Sound thanks you.

Yayz. <3

10char

Mann567
11-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Does anyone have a Soundqubed HDS12, I have been doing research and really like the specs, but I was wondering how well they hit the lows.

Mike H.
12-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Is picking brands from the "questionable" list at least decent with sound and longevity?

basicxj
12-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Is picking brands from the "questionable" list at least decent with sound and longevity?

It is all very specific and depends- there are many products on the list in the "bad" and "questionable" categories that I wouldn't install and use even if they were free, and I say that as a fan of budget systems bought smart...if you post up some links to what you were curious about, we can be of more help.

As mentioned in your thread on the subject, if I had to piece together a budget system I would look for a lower-tier Pioneer head unit, ($100+ at a number of retailers) some discontinued Polk db front speakers ($60-100 on eBay), a JBL GT-5 woofer (often $69 on Amazon or Sonicelectronix) and look at brands like late model PPI and Soundstream amplifiers (<$200 Sonicelectronix or woofersetc) for a kick-*ss entry level system with no compromises where it matters- reasonable SQ, performance and reliability.

Mike H.
12-23-2015, 07:36 AM
Thoughts on a Soundstream P4.500 amp?..I found these to be in my price range and highly considering one.

Kenwood,Audiobahn,Hifonics,MB Quart,and RE Audio...Anything at all considerable for an amp,speakers,sub?

basicxj
12-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Thoughts on a Soundstream P4.500 amp?..I found these to be in my price range and highly considering one.

^^ not bad for a budget choice

Kenwood,Audiobahn,Hifonics,MB Quart,and RE Audio...Anything at all considerable for an amp,speakers,sub?

I wouldn't- Kenwood is pretty mediocre for anything but their head units. Audiobahn has been pretty junky (but has chrome and flames). Hifonics and (modern) MB Quart are Maxxsonics, unreliable and best avoided. Original RE Audio was good, RE Audio products from after the buy-out aren't very good and are poorly supported.

Mike H.
12-23-2015, 06:32 PM
^^ not bad for a budget choice

I wouldn't- Kenwood is pretty mediocre for anything but their head units. Audiobahn has been pretty junky (but has chrome and flames). Hifonics and (modern) MB Quart are Maxxsonics, unreliable and best avoided. Original RE Audio was good, RE Audio products from after the buy-out aren't very good and are poorly supported.

A bit of a buzz kill but, it is what it is...Appreciate it.

Gonna go with that soundstream amp and already decided on the kenwood X399 HU...so, im making progress hahaha.

diocco
01-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Sony not a high quality? Their HU are great. Yeah the Xplod speakers are crap. But their head units and amps are high quality for me anyway.

basicxj
01-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Sony not a high quality? Their HU are great. Yeah the Xplod speakers are crap. But their head units and amps are high quality for me anyway.

No, their car audio pieces like head units are not high quality compared to brands like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer.

Sony dumped all of their high quality offerings in the 90's when they went to the de-contented Xplod line using lower quality internals to target and concentrate on the entry level segment of the market. Quality dropped dramatically over the products they were bringing to market in the 80's to mid-90's that were superb and ranked among some of the best (they even helped Alpine with some of their top old school CD transports in the 80's). While Sony's current head units are not the worst products they make (far better than their speakers, subs and amps), I still wouldn't recommend anything they offer in terms of car audio when so much better can be had from other brands. If you like Sony head units, you'd love the right Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer- they are not all created equally ;).

Hamzah24
01-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Where would In phase be on this list

basicxj
01-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Where would In phase be on this list

A brand to avoid- junk gear marketed mostly in the UK. You would also be well-served avoiding Fli, BassFace and Vibe that fall into the same category.

Hamzah24
01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
A brand to avoid- junk gear marketed mostly in the UK. You would also be well-served avoiding Fli, BassFace and Vibe that fall into the same category.

What are the best brands for amps in the UK?

basicxj
01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
What are the best brands for amps in the UK?

I can't say definitively- I am in Canada. JBL and Alpine are usually available and are pretty solid bets.

sam5500
01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
Just registered and wanted to say thanks for the informative info.

I see TC Sounds is not on the list. How would you all rank them? They appear to be good, but the reviews show some quality control issues with their products.

Also, just wanted to mention that Eric Stevens, the founder of Image Dynamics, now has a new company that will hopefully one day put out products despite a lot of delays. That company is called OnCore Audio. I think they only have a Facebook page right now: https://www.facebook.com/oncoreaudio/?fref=nf

basicxj
01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Just registered and wanted to say thanks for the informative info.

I see TC Sounds is not on the list. How would you all rank them? They appear to be good, but the reviews show some quality control issues with their products.

Also, just wanted to mention that Eric Stevens, the founder of Image Dynamics, now has a new company that will hopefully one day put out products despite a lot of delays. That company is called OnCore Audio. I think they only have a Facebook page right now.

Good info for Eric Stevens- will watch out for OnCore Audio.

Your assessment of TC Sounds is pretty accurate- great products with some troubles along the way.

sam5500
01-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Ok, and was just wondering about MB Quart. You guys have them listed under Questionable. I thought their amps were pretty good, but just wanted to hear what you all think.

basicxj
01-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Ok, and was just wondering about MB Quart. You guys have them listed under Questionable. I thought their amps were pretty good, but just wanted to hear what you all think.

MB Quart was a good European brand, until bought by Maxxsonics. I couldn't really recommend anything made post buy-out.

sam5500
01-07-2016, 05:27 PM
MB Quart was a good European brand, until bought by Maxxsonics. I couldn't really recommend anything made post buy-out.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well I will probably be on here asking questions in the future about stuff as I try to get my system down to what I want. Really want to wait for OnCore's XW12, but also want to get this done by May.

Really want to get the Funky Pup, but don't want to deal with the shattered windows on only 1 watt or the constant orgasms that people are reporting upon hearing its beautiful swan song haha.

basicxj
01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well I will probably be on here asking questions in the future about stuff as I try to get my system down to what I want. Really want to wait for OnCore's XW12, but also want to get this done by May.

Really want to get the Funky Pup, but don't want to deal with the shattered windows on only 1 watt or the constant orgasms that people are reporting upon hearing its beautiful swan song haha.

They go "boom like so" fool!

sam5500
01-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Ok, got another question. What do you guys think about SoundSplinter? I remember their orphan sub from a couple years back being pretty beast, but don't know if anything has changed since then.

basicxj
01-24-2016, 06:09 PM
http://www.soundsplinter.com

^^ looks to be still pretty nice

Mordrid1
01-24-2016, 06:46 PM

MB Quart still has a few hidden gems in their lineups. The problem is their is also way more junk in their lineups than good. Which makes it hard if you don't know exactly what you are looking for to find the good stuff.

Mordrid1
01-24-2016, 06:48 PM
http://www.soundsplinter.com

^^ looks to be still pretty nice

Unfortunately they have not had anything in stock since the Orphan 8".

sam5500
01-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately they have not had anything in stock since the Orphan 8".

You're right. I clicked on all the "Buy It" icons for the subs I wanted and none in stock. Also, checked one of the forums and apparently they haven't had stock in a long time. Shame, they really seemed promising.

Mordrid1
01-24-2016, 08:05 PM
You're right. I clicked on all the "Buy It" icons for the subs I wanted and none in stock. Also, checked one of the forums and apparently they haven't had stock in a long time. Shame, they really seemed promising.

The Rli-8 is still my favorite 8" sub. Not taking anything away from the Sundown SA-8, but the Rli was just a better all around sub. Essentially it sounded as good as the TC Sounds Epic 8, with output similar to the SA-8.

sam5500
01-24-2016, 08:11 PM
The Rli-8 is still my favorite 8" sub. Not taking anything away from the Sundown SA-8, but the Rli was just a better all around sub.

I was seriously considering their RL-i10. Looked to be a damn good sub and didn't need a large box. But guess that's out now unless someone randomly has some for sale somewhere, but searching didn't uncover anything haha.

jackarmando
02-05-2016, 04:40 AM
This list was already existant, I just updated it and moved some brands around. If anything looks weird or out of place i may have overlooked it.

can u add to the sections
-b2
-sp audio

Thanks! :D

basicxj
02-05-2016, 11:53 AM
This list was already existant, I just updated it and moved some brands around. If anything looks weird or out of place i may have overlooked it.

can u add to the sections
-b2
-sp audio

Thanks! :D

Those are pretty obscure brands on this side of the pond- you may have to wait a few years to have them properly integrated into that list :cool:.

SQ+
02-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Where would Dayton go in the list? I did a search for Dayton in this thread, and nothing came up. Especially, what do people think of the HO sub?

batteryoutlet
02-16-2016, 07:38 PM
you need to add Northstar Battery under the highest quality list!!

SQ+
02-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Helix is in two places, Good and Highest Quality.

basicxj
02-17-2016, 03:46 AM

Maybe Hank will amend it to be only under "Highest Quality" ;).

flyboywiz
02-19-2016, 09:07 PM
It's really funny to see Jensen and LA Sound on this list, that's what most 16 year olds have. Amps that are 1200 watt but have an RMS of 2 LMAO! Those were the days.

MOSFET
02-20-2016, 07:55 AM
It's really funny to see Jensen and LA Sound on this list, that's what most 16 year olds have. Amps that are 1200 watt but have an RMS of 2 LMAO! Those were the days.

Yes, just the very name "Jensen" elicits memories. I'm pretty old (48), so I recall in high school THE **** was a cassette deck, booster EQ (maybe Realistic or Kraco), and then two or four Jensen 6x9's (with the front stock speakers rolling around on the floor).

Back then nobody cared about things like "soundstage", "imging" or anything else other than HOW LOUD CAN I GET IT???

SPL BRONCO II
02-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Maybe Hank will amend it to be only under "Highest Quality" ;).

Not sure why I had done that but im assuming either it was a few more beers than I should have had 8\ or because Helix makes some very high end equipment but the entry level series they make is just good at best.

SQ+
02-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Not sure why I had done that but im assuming either it was a few more beers than I should have had 8\ or because Helix makes some very high end equipment but the entry level series they make is just good at best.

Makes perfect sense, especially about the beers. Maybe leave Helix in both places, but add parenthesis for (entry level series) and (high end series)? And thanks, it's good to know about that distinction.

SPL BRONCO II
02-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Makes perfect sense, especially about the beers. Maybe leave Helix in both places, but add parenthesis for (entry level series) and (high end series)? And thanks, it's good to know about that distinction.

Just added notes to both categories

flyboywiz
02-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Yes, just the very name "Jensen" elicits memories. I'm pretty old (48), so I recall in high school THE **** was a cassette deck, booster EQ (maybe Realistic or Kraco), and then two or four Jensen 6x9's (with the front stock speakers rolling around on the floor). free mp3 downloads (http://www.buymixtapes.com)

Back then nobody cared about things like "soundstage", "imging" or anything else other than HOW LOUD CAN I GET IT???

LMAO @ "front stock speakers rolling around on the floor". That's exactly what it was, we barely had money, so one 8"-10" subwoofer in a box was good enough

mynameismatt
02-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Amplifiers are under Questionable, and Excelon HUs are under Good. Where does the rest fall under? I'd say Kenwood products are pretty good, I have no complaints with my speakers or HU.

arcaudiofan
03-02-2016, 05:05 PM
so my type r tweeters and memphis sub amp are good, and my arc audio speakers and 4 channel amp are high quality oh and also my alpine cde-hd149bt, but apparently to some people my 91 dodge dynasty couldnt have even a decent system lol

arc audio xdi 693s
arc audio xdi 502s
alpine type r tweeters(2 pairs)
alpine cde-hd149bt
arc audio xdi 450.4
memphis audio power reference amp
arc audio xdi 12d4s(2)
all Jl audio install wiring

my system blows lol

SQ+
03-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Any word on the new(?) Zapco ST series? The speaker amps are AB class, mono amps are D class.

sam5500
03-20-2016, 05:44 AM
Any word on the new(?) Zapco ST series? The speaker amps are AB class, mono amps are D class.

This is a good question as I was looking into their ST-X and ST-D series. They put out enough power, are priced pretty good, and are the right sizes for where I plan to put them. Only have about 15" of length on the backs of both seats and that includes cabling coming off of the amps.

drewreynolds90
03-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Hifonics should be most definitely be in the good section

basicxj
03-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Hifonics should be most definitely be in the good section

Back in the 80's to early 90's sure, but not any more ;).

chickgamer
03-31-2016, 03:01 PM
I have found this (http://carspeakerspro.com/reviews/top-rated-6-5-coaxial-car-speakers) has some good reviews about top rated car speakers.
Can be a good referrence.

DownNDirty63bug
04-13-2016, 11:31 PM
SSA NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO HIGHEST QUALITY
Some of the best subs on the market

sherwind2010
05-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Clear Car Audio? Talking 9K for 1,500 bones shipped... What is the Deal, Good or Bad?

PS: they are on pre-Order, It should of been released July 2016... Still nothing on their Facebook page, Looks like a mean 9K Amp

PS: PS: Clear Car Audio is re-branded to UnrIo AudIo.

Frankieboy28
05-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Out of the highest quality of subs. Which ten inch is great for the best sound quality?

basicxj
05-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Out of the highest quality of subs. Which ten inch is great for the best sound quality?

There are too many variables to answer things that simply- enclosure, amplifier, install, tuning, even the vehicle and the way the enclosure has been aimed.

cicko2
09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Hi guys, IMHO Alphasonik shouldnt be questionable... Ive heard some Alphasonik subs that can move some air...

This was my setup back in the days

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zW9407gW8k

peace

basicxj
09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Hi guys, IMHO Alphasonik shouldnt be questionable... Ive heard some Alphasonik subs that can move some air...

peace

Old school Alphasonic wasn't "questionable," but current product wearing that brand is unfortunately ;).

SPL BRONCO II
09-25-2016, 02:41 PM

peace

Many higher quality brands of a decade ago have switched ownership over the years and are making mid grade to low end audio these days. Many of the other companies have had to cut quality in order to be competitive with the market and other brands. Alphasonik is one of the brands who changed hands in ownership and along with that they dropped the quality and cost and capitalized on the name so many associated with higher end audio.

dsw1204
10-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Here's one that I know very little about: CT Sounds

Curious as to how you would rank them. They look interesting.

denim
10-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Here's one that I know very little about: CT Sounds

Curious as to how you would rank them. They look interesting.

Do some research on the company and their products. That is the nicest way to say it.

Wooferine
10-28-2016, 03:20 PM
I've been looking into my options for upgrading so I've got a list of brands and products that I could wallpaper my room with. So here's one you might find interesting: Audiofrog.

They don't have a huge list of products and they're a fairly recent but from reading about them the owner has a solid pedigree having worked on and possibly designed the MS-8 amongst other things. Their GB series of drivers have regular members of an SQ forum pretty much loving the stuff.

No personal experience since I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.

Wooferine
10-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Another brand name I've encountered that is held in very high regard by the audiophiles is SEAS, and unless I missed it it's not in the list.

basicxj
11-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Audiofrog was started by Andy Wehmeyer, formerly of Harmon International and more specifically, JBL. Initial reports on Audio Frog are "good".

Seas produces raw drivers of excellent quality.

rally
11-23-2016, 06:38 PM
how about Ryan Audio?

basicxj
11-24-2016, 01:16 AM
how about Ryan Audio?

Never heard of them.

SPL BRONCO II
11-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Never heard of them.

. . . x 2

SPL BRONCO II
11-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Just added Wet Sounds

pioneersucks
01-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Nice list, well done, Ill refer to it when I go for a new system. What I wanted to post (my first here) is my recent experience with my Pioneer AVH-3700 head unit. Just go off the phone with the service manager at Pioneer, told him my story, now ill tell you. After one year and 5 months into using this unit the main board cooked. But only after plugging in an iPod nano7. The unit was fine before the nano. The repair is 280.00 and comes with a 90 day warranty. Wow, what a deal. A 500 dollar mistake on my part but who would have seen this coming, I thought Pioneer was pretty good.
Anyway Ill be replacing with the Kenwood DNX573s from woofers ect out in LA. I can bump the warranty up to 4 years also. Im surprised this unit failed in such a short time and im not sure if that nano7 had anything to do with it but he did say it was very unlikely. Just wanted to throw that out to you guys and say that Im looking forward to learning from the huge amount of experience the members of this forum has.

Jimi77
01-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Nice list, well done, Ill refer to it when I go for a new system. What I wanted to post (my first here) is my recent experience with my Pioneer AVH-3700 head unit. Just go off the phone with the service manager at Pioneer, told him my story, now ill tell you. After one year and 5 months into using this unit the main board cooked. But only after plugging in an iPod nano7. The unit was fine before the nano. The repair is 280.00 and comes with a 90 day warranty. Wow, what a deal. A 500 dollar mistake on my part but who would have seen this coming, I thought Pioneer was pretty good.
Anyway Ill be replacing with the Kenwood DNX573s from woofers ect out in LA. I can bump the warranty up to 4 years also. Im surprised this unit failed in such a short time and im not sure if that nano7 had anything to do with it but he did say it was very unlikely. Just wanted to throw that out to you guys and say that Im looking forward to learning from the huge amount of experience the members of this forum has.

Pioneer makes pretty good HUs. My P9 still works and that thing is 15 years old.

pioneersucks
01-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Pioneer AVH 3700 cooked in just over a year. Burned me for radio cost and wanted 280 to fix. Add to the bad list. Looking for HU, maybe Kenwood DNX693s.

basicxj
01-20-2017, 01:39 AM
Pioneer AVH 3700 cooked in just over a year. Burned me for radio cost and wanted 280 to fix. Add to the bad list. Looking for HU, maybe Kenwood DNX693s.

Cooked how exactly? There are many things that can fail or sustain damage if certain precautions are not taken during initial install or subsequent connections are made.

TRD_Runner
02-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Where does the Phoenix gold sx1200.5 amp fall?
Memphis audio's LL6 processor?
CDT's Anniversary edition 3 way system?

blakkid
02-20-2017, 03:16 AM
Would be nice if there was a personal favorites section or highly recommended section after the highest quality bracket. Teeheee

will sinclair
03-17-2017, 11:10 AM
I think Alpine has strong power on car audio issue . I am using ALPINE PDX-V9 (http://www.audiodrive.org/best-5-channel-amp-reviews/) . It is a compact and more affordable product with good reviews and manufacturer’s reputation. It features maximum power of 900 W and in 100W RMS x 4 + 500W RMS x 1 configuration. The system’s output is enough to power commonly build in car speakers or aftermarket subwoofers up to 12-inch size. It doesn’t overheat and is well isolated. Users reported no problems with this product and generally positive reviews. With its compact size and stackable installation design with front-panel controls, it is easy to install and it doesn’t require a lot of space. With the affordable price and good specifications, this is a recommended product.

Mike H.
07-12-2017, 09:43 PM
What would be nice is a list of the top 3 or top 5 most would go with based on all the categories..Even on the low end stuff there has to be a winner..I know Boss and pyle, pyramid and others way overate amps but having seen some dyno tests on youtube there is room to categorize some of these.

A Lanzar and a pyramid amp were tested head to head on a dyno ,both advertised about the same power levels and the lanzar flat out put the pyramid to shame even though the lanzar was no where near its advertised rating...A solid 300 watts rms for the money i suppose is better than less for the same money.

Im still wanting to experiment one day on using some of the "Bad" products just to see how bad it really is.

Im feeling that properly matching components and some proper prep work will go along way in creating a decent sound system that can last....Nothing competition quality but for the average joe enough to be impressive or make someone happy for the low cost.

Longevity may be the big issue with the "bad" products as ive read but ive seen too many un-thought out systems just thrown together as cause for alot of failures and poor performance.

Anyhow, im not promoting "cheap" audio but i think a decent system can be had even from the "bad" or even the "questionable" list.

Mike H.
07-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Knuconceptz should be added to one of the lists for install kits...Seems to be a quality wiring kit at a reasonable price and they cater to different cost levels.

mmnbvcxzz
08-12-2017, 01:46 AM
I would put Lanzar in the good section :bun:

basicxj
08-12-2017, 01:48 AM
I would put Lanzar in the good section :bun:

Old school Lanzar Opti, yes. Current Lanzar, sadly not so much :o

DownNDirty63bug
09-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Ssa in the wrong category wtf

GM4WALLS
09-01-2017, 11:27 PM
Ssa in the wrong category wtf

SSA, and Incriminator build a better product then Sundown.