PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain driver motor differences(XBL ect)

beaux
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I was dead set on the FI Audio 18" Q until I saw a link to this on this forum.

What are the differences in this woofer
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX15

and this woofer
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1546a01a12f14a7/shopdata/0020_Q/product_overview.shopscript

What is the XBL^2 and what advantages does it have over the FI? More output? I want to do a single sub setup with 1000watts rms and ths SDX15 kinda threw another option my way.

Advantages or preferences

bassfreak
08-01-2007, 09:50 PM
XBL allows more constant motor strength threw its linear excursion range... IE as the coil moves B/L(one PART of motor strength) remains closer to the "at rest" strength... its one way of providing lower harmonic distortion.. some like the way it sounds better others don't....

beaux
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
So basically it enables the sub to remain more "controlled" through its linear path? Does the XBL^2 make the sub capable (sp?) of more spl output or does this make the driver more suited for SQ? More suited for sealed or ported enclosures?

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all the workings of a sub (even though i did read the sticky). But I did notice the increased excursion of the XBL^2 driver. From what I've read when I searched...more Xmax generally means the better low end output (please correct me if i'm wrong).

The FI Q is a SQ woofer capable of getting very loud.
I'm going out on a limb and saying the SDX15 is the same (SQ capable of SPL)

Which would be the louder of the two?
Would one design be more efficient than the other?
I'm way behind on the technology.....just trying to catch up

bassfreak
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
So basically it enables the sub to remain more "controlled" through its linear path? Does the XBL^2 make the sub capable (sp?) of more spl output or does this make the driver more suited for SQ? More suited for sealed or ported enclosures?

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all the workings of a sub (even though i did read the sticky). But I did notice the increased excursion of the XBL^2 driver. From what I've read when I searched...more Xmax generally means the better low end output (please correct me if i'm wrong).

The FI Q is a SQ woofer capable of getting very loud.
I'm going out on a limb and saying the SDX15 is the same (SQ capable of SPL)

Which would be the louder of the two?
Would one design be more efficient than the other?
I'm way behind on the technology.....just trying to catch up
its pretty complex actually.. it goes much deeper than just being able to have continuous motor strength... there are sacrifices that are made to do so.. ONE being output 8\ fact of the matter is that despite what graphs and claims are i really enjoyed my RD audio alphas... compared to the other woofers with XBL they definitely sound as good and have the ability to handle more power... they have there downfalls but there IMO a notch above as long as you have the power.....

Jimi77
08-01-2007, 11:37 PM
From an SQ standpoint, the Brahma (XBL motor) sounds very dry, is very accurate, but I think alot of people would say it lacks presence. I assume other XBL subs would sound similar in this regard. As bassfreak says some people like it, others don't.

beaux
08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Like some subs sound "different". I've heard it referred to as coloring? If my termonology is wrong i'm sorry but I get what your saying.

So the FI Q would have more output?

I've been searching XBL^2 and from what i've read....the general feeling is the same as you just said....a dry, transparent sound. Why is this technology so sought after and highly regarded? I remember when the Brahma first came out...it was "revolutionary". I remember reading in '04 and '05 about the incredible output of the brahma, but bassfreak said it sacrifices some output.
30mm excursion from the XBL driver
27mm from the Q
Is there enough of a sacrifice in output from the XBL to make it less capable than the Q?

Jimi77
08-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Like some subs sound "different". I've heard it referred to as coloring? If my termonology is wrong i'm sorry but I get what your saying.

So the FI Q would have more output?

I've been searching XBL^2 and from what i've read....the general feeling is the same as you just said....a dry, transparent sound. Why is this technology so sought after and highly regarded? I remember when the Brahma first came out...it was "revolutionary". I remember reading in '04 and '05 about the incredible output of the brahma, but bassfreak said it sacrifices some output.
30mm excursion from the XBL driver
27mm from the Q
Is there enough of a sacrifice in output from the XBL to make it less capable than the Q?

Assuming a sealed enclosure the XBL driver would be louder, but we're talking about a fraction of decible. The Brahma's do have incredible output, but alot of people didn't like the dry, transparent sound. Personally I love it. If you're really into bass, maybe you like excessive subbass, etc, then I wouldn't recommend an XBL sub. For a pure SQ set up, it would be a good choice.