PDA

View Full Version : Mpyre 6.5" Subwoofer / Mids

oddyopro
03-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey guys! I am new to this forum!

Anyone else seen/heard about these? It looks like there is finally a 'car version' of the Extremis and that subwoofer looks really cool. I would love to put a ton of them in 1 car.

http://www.mpyreaudio.com sorry the site doesn't link well to direct pages.

sinisteraudio
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
nobody has heard them yet because they arnt out yet but they should be very decent when they come out.

peter_euro
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey guys! I am new to this forum!

Anyone else seen/heard about these? It looks like there is finally a 'car version' of the Extremis and that subwoofer looks really cool. I would love to put a ton of them in 1 car.

http://www.mpyreaudio.com sorry the site doesn't link well to direct pages.looks like awesome stuff actually... Is this Feandil's stuff or did someone beat him to the punch? If someone did, this would be pretty pathetic...

luvdeftonz
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Somebody else beat Feandil to it. One reason I know: Dan Wiggins specifically recommended them when someone asked when his Koda comps would be upgraded/available...doubt he would throw Feandil that kind of bone.

I'm seriously thinking of grabbing a pair of the 6.5" subs. With a qts of .42, Fs of 25.7 hz, and 14 mm xmax, I should be able to get away with running them IB in the rear deck. Should have enough output and extension. Would definitely take up less space than my 12" gti in a 1.5 ft³ sealed enclosure.

:cool:

peter_euro
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Somebody else beat Feandil to it. One reason I know: Dan Wiggins specifically recommended them when someone asked when his Koda comps would be upgraded/available...doubt he would throw Feandil that kind of bone.

I'm seriously thinking of grabbing a pair of the 6.5" subs. With a qts of .42, Fs of 25.7 hz, and 14 mm xmax, I should be able to get away with running them IB in the rear deck. Should have enough output and extension. Would definitely take up less space than my 12" gti in a 1.5 ft³ sealed enclosure.

:cool:LOL, then this is funny... I just thought it was Feandil since the sensitivity spec was missing (he promised about 98 dB) ;)

Why IB? why not build a couple of small enclosures and hang them under rear deck? Otherwise, you may be suffering from GTi withdrawal for quite a while, LOL...

luvdeftonz
03-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Haven't done IB yet. Want to see if it's so "pure" as it's proponents like to claim so often. I don't usually buy it, but the added benefit of saving my trunk is also appealing. If it is not enough output (main downfall of IB...takes a decent bit of cone area and throw to get respectable output), I can drop some 8's in there (say, the Koda 8 or even the TB 8's).

BTW, I still haven't installed my 12" gti. Going on a year :rolleyes:

squeak9798
03-14-2006, 10:37 PM
looks like awesome stuff actually... Is this Feandil's stuff or did someone beat him to the punch? If someone did, this would be pretty pathetic...

Mpyre has been rolling since before Feandil really started working on his speaker projects.

Their official forum is over on SIN: http://forum.carstereos.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Dizmal
03-15-2006, 12:48 AM
So, do they really displace as much as a 10" sub?

For the price it wouldn't be bad to try one out. I was originally looking at the CDT-EF8, but this may be cool.

squeak9798
03-15-2006, 02:14 AM
So, do they really displace as much as a 10" sub?

It might displace as much air a some 10's...it certainly is a [blong[/b] ways off from most mid-level and higher quality 10's. It simply lacks the cone area and excursion of most even moderately priced 10" drivers.

Take a look at the Soundsplinter Rl-i 10" subwoofer for example (a good quality, affordably priced 10" subwoofer):

Mpyre 65X:
Sd: 130 cm^2
Xmax: 1.4cm
Displacement: 130*1.4 = 182cm^3 = .182L

SS Rl-i 10:
Sd: 307cm^2
Xmax: 2.0cm
Displacement: 307*2 = 614cm^2 = .614L

.614/.182 = 3.37

So, the Rl-i 10" has 3.37 times the displacement of the Mpyre 6.5" subwoofer, for an output difference of 10.5db

Compare the Mpyre to a 10" driver with a comparable price (basing off of the MSRP listed);

eD 11v2 ($115 w/ free shipping);
Sd: 350cm^2
Xmax: 1.4cm
Displacement: 350*1.4 = 490cm^2 = .490L

.490/.182 = 2.69

The eD has 2.69 times more displacement than the Mpyre, for an output difference of 8.6db.

The 6.5" driver simply lacks the cone area to signifcantly compare to most 10" drivers (and probably most 8" drivers) on the market even with it's relatively high excursion.

oddyopro
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Good points...it just seems that it offers a lot of performance in a small package. Isn't it THE 6.5" with the highest excursion of anything?

Aero540T
04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
I'd like to talk about this driver a little more, I saw the Kodas were mentioned in here earlier.
I've got the Koda comps right now with 150 watts to each side and one of the mids recently got ****ed, so I'm really considering two of these mpyre mids and using the koda tweets in an active 2 way set. If I did that I'd have to get another small amp for the tweets but I'd be able to give the Mpyre mids ~150 watts each. If I got them at the pre-order price of $100 shipped do you guys think it'd be worth it in replacing the Koda set?
I'm looking for a lot of midbass, and the Kodas delivered, but would this be a great improvement (justify the cost) or only slightly better?

But yes...I realize they're not out yet, just looking for some speculations/opinions.

Aero540T
04-05-2006, 03:33 AM
anyone? i know they're not out yet, but does anybody have a clue?
If i pick a pair up I'd rather do it soon while the pre-order is still goin on.

luvdeftonz
04-05-2006, 08:40 PM
With twice the throw and a more linear motor (xbl²), I'd assume the Mpyre midbass will provide a ton more output and considerably lower distortion. I'm not sure how high the Mpyre will play or how low the Koda tweeter will play, but make sure they can "meet", so as not to have a gap in freq. response.